New sump extension pattern

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Re: New sump extension pattern

Post by mite5255 »

Not much happening my end last two weeks, wife's been been having a few personal issues in regards to her job and I've taken time off work to be with her

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Wifes sort of back on deck , and back at work. I've did a lot of thinking over the last few weeks and have decided to make a new cover for the extension so the cooling fins go down the leading edge plus under neath. I needed another core box that was about 15mm lower then the other one so that I get a floor in the extension, I took a old original extension, cleaned it up and machined it to 26mm, the base will need a oil gallery machined into it and then bolted onto the extension. I may even change the position of the sump plug and snake the oil gallery a bit
New core box
Stock base plate with oil gallery
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Old extension mounted on bike

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

:shock: I've resurrected the old sump extension pattern, I know a wood worker who not only has laser CNC but he also has a CNC router. He has redone the original pattern. It has been a real challenge trying to find someone that will be prepared to do patterns in this part of the forest, hopefully this person will continue. The biggest issue that I have is trying to explain what I require and I need draft, this person has done some work for me and at the moment I'm happy with the way things are going, he does not charge an arm and a leg, he has at the time charged me a price that I really don't think covers his time so I always offer more. I mounted the patterns on a molding board.The stock base will be replaced with a new one with deeper cooling fins plus extra oil storage

dallen

Post by dallen »

are you drawing the patterns yourself or is he, it might be easier if you did the drawings and let him do the code for the router.

nice looking pattern
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

No Dave, when I go out to his place I took my old pattern and he drew it off that.....I was out there yesterday to draw up the base plate but didn't get it finished as he had other work he had to get done.......I used the new pattern today and it worked a treat, I also used the toilet block degasser that Frank recommend and they worked a treat, they did stink and created a thick black smoke, but the surfece finnish that I got was the best that I've ever had. made one mistake tho, when I put the flasks back together some dumb idiot put then on back to front, still worked, just trim with the band saw before milling, damn good to be doing something ;)

dallen

Post by dallen »

nice looking part. always nice when you can save a screwup.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I did the sump extension casting, machined it up and drilled the mounting holes and one is out of place, DAMN :(

Split a piece of wooden dowel and fitted cleaned it all up, I'll recast next week

When I cast the extension I'll also do the job below.
When machining I've never had parallels, A few years back I brought some machine patterns, they included parallels V block and angle plat patterns

I'm going to cast in phosphor bronze the small set of parallels and the larger angle plate. the reason I'll use phosphor is that I have some here and it should wear well

dallen

Post by dallen »

good to see the fix on the sump pattern was just the adding in of a bigger boss.

Those are some nice looking patterns, be nice to live close enough to help you do the casting of them. The angle plates look like they will take a big pot full of metal to fill up.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

The largest angle plate is 7 1/2 x 3 1/4 x 2 3/4 the smallest is 6 5/8 x 2 5/8 x 2 x 3/8 and both are about 7/16 thick