Coaster Project

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Re: Coaster Project

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:I don't know why some of the edges are fuzzy, it appears to be just on the pictures. The CNC ignores some of the small pixels or a lot of them if the setting it too high.

I was hoping for a cricky, Krikey ... what ever the word is? :lol: :lol:
CRICKY Jerry thats BLOODY great :lol: :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Did a few cuts yesterday, they came out pretty good. The copter looks great, the lettering is a little off. Have to look at it some more. The Tardis is looking the best, but I had started on it a while back. The rat in the tree is pretty good, the lettering is a little rough too. :lol: :)
I'll be out of town a few days, I'll post some pictures when I get back.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:Did a few cuts yesterday, they came out pretty good. The copter looks great, the lettering is a little off. Have to look at it some more. The Tardis is looking the best, but I had started on it a while back. The rat in the tree is pretty good, the lettering is a little rough too. :lol: :)
I'll be out of town a few days, I'll post some pictures when I get back.
Thats great Jerry,enjoy you trip away mate.... oh and by the way, its not a rat but a Aussie possum :lol: :lol:

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Did some cuts yesterday and last week before going to Ohio. The one is dull and doesn't have good detail. I used a smaller engraving bit on the second one and got a lot better detail. The clean up around the raised letters isn't working very well so I thought I'd entice you with engraved letters. I Got the McDermott too big so I have to shorten it a little. That's what I get for not checking it before cutting.
I have to say, I have learned a lot about my machine and settings and how to set up a series of cuts.
Attachments
tardis a.jpg
001.JPG
002.JPG
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

WOW Jerry, they look great :D :D,would it be easier to engrave the helicopter into the base, what you have does look fanbloodytastic tho, are the done in foam
dallen

Post by dallen »

looking good jerry, I'm still rounding up parts to build me a router, getting a little closer as time goes by.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I can reverse it to see what it will look like. What do you think about the engraved letters or the raised letters. I'm concerned about how they may mold up in the sand, it may pack into the letters and not pull clean.
I do all the practice cuts on the foam. The ones that don't come out I just shave it off smooth and start over.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I do prefer the raised chopper and map with the engraved lettering, thats if it all pulls from the sand ok....Do you have your foundry set up Jerry,even if only your sand so you can do a test molding

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hi Jerry... I need an urgent job done if you can.......Wife's niece is getting married towards the end of May and wife has asked if I could cast two heart shaped coasters with raised lettering with Rebecca and Simon and 24 May 2014 on one with Simon and Rebecca with the date on the other. I would need the patterns big enough to take a wine glass or Champagne flute
Thanks Jerry

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Could you sketch something out? Not sure I understand what you want. One heart with Rebecca & Simon 24 May 2014, and another heart with Simon & Rebecca 24 May 2014. I'll have to look for a heart pattern. I know I have a double heart somewhere.
CNC is trying to act up a little. I'm not too worried, I have enough stuff to about build a new one.