Coaster Project

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Jammer

Re: Coaster Project

Post by Jammer »

On one I rounded all 4 points and on the other just the bottom points. I don't know which I like better, what do you think?
Attachments
D1 2 heart.jpg
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

The one on the left looks great Jerry

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I tried to do the finish cut on these hearts yesterday and the wood I got isn't working out. It wants to chip out and mess everything up. I've got a different wood to try today and I'll see how it does.
Mike, I'm assuming this is going to be a "one of" casting on these, or are you going to be making a bunch of them?
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:I tried to do the finish cut on these hearts yesterday and the wood I got isn't working out. It wants to chip out and mess everything up. I've got a different wood to try today and I'll see how it does.
Mike, I'm assuming this is going to be a "one of" casting on these, or are you going to be making a bunch of them?
The heart ones should be just a one of, I would expect there will be a few of the other ones made

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

use a plastic cutting board, I used plastic on most of the limit switch mounts for the router I'm building.
and they are cheap

also MDF it won't chip, but makes a butt load of dust. the pattern for the handle that I cast the other day was done in MDF
DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I tried a cutting board, it was Polypropylene. It just melted and wrapped around the bit. I'm running at 30,000 rpm and don't have an adjustment. I'm concerned that the router is just a piece of junk and I'm getting some wobble. I ran the hearts yesterday with the Basswood and it just chipped out the letters pretty bad. I thought a piece of the engineered flooring would work but it's like pressed paper and just tears out. I would like to try some Corian but I don't know where to get any quickly. I would need to send these to Mike in the next week so he can cast them.
I had some trouble with the patterns, bad curves on the hearts, wrong cuts and just general aggravations. I thought the cut would be easy.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:I tried a cutting board, it was Polypropylene. It just melted and wrapped around the bit. I'm running at 30,000 rpm and don't have an adjustment. I'm concerned that the router is just a piece of junk and I'm getting some wobble. I ran the hearts yesterday with the Basswood and it just chipped out the letters pretty bad. I thought a piece of the engineered flooring would work but it's like pressed paper and just tears out. I would like to try some Corian but I don't know where to get any quickly. I would need to send these to Mike in the next week so he can cast them.
I had some trouble with the patterns, bad curves on the hearts, wrong cuts and just general aggravations. I thought the cut would be easy.
Did you try MDF Jerry
dallen

Post by dallen »

make friends with shop that does counter tops they always have bits and pieces. I've got some plastic bars but not big enough to cut what your doing or I'd send you one they are like 16 inchs long. I took some 12 inch PVC pipe and heated it in the oven and flattened it out by sitting a bunch of weight on top of it till it got cold, it machined pretty nice.

sound like wobble if your turning the bit that fast, it should cut with no problems at all.

I'm fixing to have to buy a router for my table I got the last screw today. thinking about the Makita its a C note at HD but like they say you get what you pay for.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

If the time runs out Jerry, that's ok I'm not pushing. I'd rather wait then having you rushing about thinking your running out of time

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've got something I thought was MDF, I think it's just particle board. It doesn't hold together very well, but works pretty good for larger stuff. I just thought it would be a piece of cake, I'm just getting agitated. We're going away tomorrow, the guys are going to try another Iron Pour in Alabama. I'm going to stop a couple places to see if I can find something to try.