Wax wax and more wax

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
F.C.

Re: Wax wax and more wax

Post by F.C. »

The inclusions of dirt/dusts/etc. are only on the surface of the wax. Use a carrot peeler to shave off the surface wax and discard that. Shave enough to make the surface look "clean". Freezing the wax makes this task go quickly without gumming up the peeler. The rest of the wax will be just fine. ;)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

That would be like KP duty, shaving over 100 pounds of wax. Some of the blocks are partially melted and slumping. I've got a 5 gallon pot and will melt as much as is reasonable. Then recast it into nice little blocks. Right now it's a big, dirty mess.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

If you melt it like it is a lot of that grit and fines will be strewn throughout the entire wax, in effect, making the wax contaminated and that contamination (if the wax is used for lost wax casting) will remain in the burned out mold and mess with finish details of the cast product. If it's used to create patterns or sculpture details, the grits will also adversely affect detail. I use that kind of wax often, casting wax patterns for sand cast reproductions, carving sculpture art, etc. It's rediculous to ruin it by contamination like that. :roll: If I lived closer I'd buy it off ya.

You must'a had a bad hitch in service if the first thing you thought of was K-P duty using a potato peeler. I told ya the quick and easiest method to clean it. It's your wax. Good luck with it. :lol:
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:If you melt it like it is a lot of that grit and fines will be strewn throughout the entire wax, in effect, making the wax contaminated and that contamination (if the wax is used for lost wax casting) will remain in the burned out mold and mess with finish details of the cast product. If it's used to create patterns or sculpture details, the grits will also adversely affect detail. I use that kind of wax often, casting wax patterns for sand cast reproductions, carving sculpture art, etc. It's rediculous to ruin it by contamination like that. :roll: If I lived closer I'd buy it off ya.

You must'a had a bad hitch in service if the first thing you thought of was K-P duty using a potato peeler. I told ya the quick and easiest method to clean it. It's your wax. Good luck with it. :lol:
Easy chair, spud peeler and a beer and while your sitting there peeling away you could try a come up with some peaceful solution to this f%^ed up planets problems :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Also note, once you peel that wax you can melt and seive off the small amount of peelings into blocks in one session, not multiple melts and seiving through strainers that "will" clog and give ya fits, and then you'll have only a small percentage of wax with inclusions or to seive through a strainer. The peeled wax, simply wrap in cellophane and it'll stay protected forever. Likewise, I recommend wraping any kind of wax, either in cellophane or sealed in a plastic bag, i.e., garbage sack. That's how I keep mine clean in a dusty shop environment.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Also note, once you peel that wax you can melt and seive off the small amount of peelings into blocks in one session, not multiple melts and seiving through strainers that "will" clog and give ya fits, and then you'll have only a small percentage of wax with inclusions or to seive through a strainer. The peeled wax, simply wrap in cellophane and it'll stay protected forever. Likewise, I recommend wraping any kind of wax, either in cellophane or sealed in a plastic bag, i.e., garbage sack. That's how I keep mine clean in a dusty shop environment.
I store my wax in the drinks fridge which is kept outside, and about four pace's from the BBQ :D :D
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I store my wax in the drinks fridge
Fridge full of wax? Big mistake. I would rather have dirty wax than to run out of beer?

R
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

HAHAHA... I agree.... HAHAHA
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:
I store my wax in the drinks fridge
Fridge full of wax? Big mistake. I would rather have dirty wax than to run out of beer?

R
F.C. wrote:HAHAHA... I agree.... HAHAHA
FFS how dumb do you people think I am ;) ;) ;) , the wax only takes up one shelf the rest of the space is drinks of some kind :D :D :D :D :D

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I thought about looking for some of those foil food containers with the cardboard lid. They probably cost too much. I got a 2 pound block of Victory Brown I bought a couple years ago in one of those.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)