Wax wax and more wax

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
bunyip

Re: Wax wax and more wax

Post by bunyip »

Jerry, I use those plastic containers like you get Chinese takeaway here & I guess over there. Cheap as at the generic junk shops.The wax is not hot enough to be a problem, the lids pop straight on & the wax releases easily by tipping upside down on a table with a little pressure of the thumbs on the bottom of the container. Trev.
On top down under
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've thought about those type containers. I wanted to try to get 2 or 3 pound square bricks, so they would stack nicely. :ugeek:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

You can use a bread tin (they come in various sizes). Invert them flat on a surface, rub them down with a light sheen of vasoline, set it within a frame made of whatever that's taller than the tin itself. Then pour plaster into that frame and cover entirely the tin so the cast plaster is flush with the framework. Once it sets, the tin pops easily out of that plaster mold. Then, when you have need to use it for casting wax, simply immerse the plaster mold into water and saturate. Once saturated (you can tell when teeny bubbles quit emmitting out of the plaster) remove it and towel off to remove any excess water. From there on, you can pour wax into that plaster mold several times and pop out a loaf (brick) at your leisure. Just watch for resistance of the wax wanting to release. The second you notice any slight resistence, after the wax comes free, re-immerse the mold into water again and repeat the process. Another tell-tale of resistance is when plaster starts to adhere to the wax surface. It usually happens at the point of contact where you pour the wax into the mold. Note: if your wax is too hot it will cause errosion of the plaster surface where the wax initially comes in contact. Best test to assure proper wax temp is to dip your finger tip into the molten wax and test for excessive heat. If it's reasonably hot but not scorching hot, it's the right temp. Microcrystaline wax melts at a very low temp, by the way.

You can also chill the mold after it's hydrated which will cause the wax to chill quicker at the plaster surface upon contact.

Another thing to consider is to take a thick picture frame, or use 1x2 wood stock with a plywood back board, and pour plaster into that near to the top of the framework. Leave sufficient room at the top to allow for a uniform thickness of wax you intend to cast into it to form sheets of wax. The wax sheets draw free from the plaster with ease. Again, you still have to hydrate the plaster before pouring the wax onto it. These (which you can cut into any shape and size) stack nicely together to form blocks, they also have multiple uses such as carving relief details into and using later as a pattern for sand casting. I do this a lot, btw. Once you've created your carving details rub powdered graphite onto the surface (lightly) and the wax will take to it nicely and provide you a beautiful sheen finish that will resist sand from sticking to it during mold packing. I've used sheet wax like this carving large letters, numbers, decorative carvings and details, etc. that I've cast in sand and made bank with many of the commissions I've had. ;)

These are the quickest and most durable (useful) molds you can make that offer tons of use with little decay. There are other methods you can do to create a releasable mold for wax but the more elaborate you go the more it costs in materials and effort to create. The ideal here is cheap with long term use and low maintenance, plus recovery if needed to make a new one.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I tried Frank's suggestion and scrapped the dirt off outside of some of the wax. About half of what I've got is melted and deformed so I can't scrape it. It was easier than I thought and cleans up pretty well. Just leaves an odd shape. If I melt it, I'll have to go to a double boiler because some of the wax burnt and turned brown. It also separated into a couple layers. I want to get the kiln wired up and try some burn out and vacuum casting. I built a vacuum assist table a couple years ago and haven't got to test it out. There's a knife guy in town that wants me to use my vacuum pump to stabilize some wood for knife handles. You put the handle blanks in a jar full of polyurethane varnish and place it in the vacuum, pulls the air out of the wood and the goo goes in and make the wood very hard. I guess they sell some type of stuff that is better than the poly but it's expensive.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Never want to dismiss the been there done that guy, good to see that you gave Franks way a shot. Did it bring back some haunting memories :)

Thats a nice haul of wax though, not cheap stuff either. I bought a few pounds of modeling wax for enough to do some small stuff but you could be in Raspers league, get out there and sculpt your Venus (thats with a V).
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Is machine wax or the microcrystalline wax, either one, able to be used for a sand rammed pattern, or will the wax stick to too much? I've got some blue machine wax I need to clean up and pour into something like a 3X5X 3/8" blocks. Maybe 8X10 sheets and cut them to size.
dallen

Post by dallen »

have no idea, the store bought machineable wax should hold up to ramming with out the sand sticking if you dust it with parting powder and graphite.

reread Jammers post, if you wanting to cast the wax in the sand yes the molten wax will stick,

Frank posted somewhere I think it the start of this thread about using plaster of paris soaked in I think water to mold the wax in.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

you may also want to look into finding a plastic box the right size and mold the wax in it, I used a plastic screw tub for my blended wax experiment.

DA

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

No, I didn't word it very well. I want to make blocks of wax out of my pieces and then CNC them and ram the pattern in sand. I have a kiln but it's not wired up yet. So, I'll have to wait on lost wax.
I may change over to Corian, I still have some pieces of that.
dallen

Post by dallen »

most any of the glad type boxes and such will handle wax temps and when its cold it pops right out. you may want to hit up wallyworld see that they have.

DA