Wax wax and more wax

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Jammer

Re: Wax wax and more wax

Post by Jammer »

I've got a bunch of those. I don't know what the melting temp is for the blue machinable stuff. I had tried some regular wax before, in a cookie sheet but it stuck pretty bad even though I sprayed it with mold release.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Jerry,

Why don't you try ramming up a pattern of wax and before you do, put it in the freezer overnight. Cold wax is a whole lot less sticky than room temperature wax.

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

its not the ramming it up that's going to cause problems but when he pours in molten wax to form the blocks that he wants to use on the cnc....
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Go talk to a local dentist that also does denture impressions. They use a dental algenate material for the mold impressions. I've known several dentists, each of them will gladly give (or sell super cheap) sufficient alginate material to accommodate you make'n a mold. If you're wanting to make a mold from a bread tin, mix the alginate to the proper water/alginate ratio then apply/spreading it over top the tin, repeatedly spreading it as necessary, liberally to cover all face surfaces till the "sudden" solidification of the alginate happens. Then mix up a batch of plaster and pour over the alginate & tin together. This will create a plaster mold with the alginate registered to the plaster for precise fit. You can then remove the tin, re-fit the alginate impression back into the plaster, then pour the alginate impression with your molten wax. The only preparation you need to do with the alginate impression is to pat it lightly with a paper towel to remove any sweat moisture drops of water that may have accumulated. Cast as many wax blocks you can get away with before the alginate begins to degrade which is usually overnight, two or three days if you keep it sealed in cellophane to lock moisture in so it won't dry out. It shrinks some as it dries. It'll shrivel up and distort dramatically once it's dried a lot over a few days. But this will give you some quick blocks of wax to do your thang with till you have need to do another run. It's either that (using alginate) or opt to purchase some RTV silicone rubber (two part mix) from a local supply source. The RTV will give you a good mold that'll last years and years of use.
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer another option is to use the stuff you ordered to make a rubber mold to pour the wax into.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

The machine wax pouring temp is too high, about 280 F. I melted a small amount and poured it into a foil lined pan. I got a couple blocks but they shrunk and have a void in the center. The website says to let it cool slowly in the oven to keep it from deforming.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)