Billy Gray Plaque

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Billy Gray Plaque

Post by mite5255 »

Last year at work we had a long time employee retired after 30 plus years, after being retired for three months he was out fishing with his brother when he had a massive heart attack and died. His name was bill and he was one of life's gentleman, in the 27 years that I knew him I don't remember him ever speaking ill of anyone, he was also always good for a nice long chat. Bill was a very heavy smoker and never visited any type of health professional, so he obviously had a few health problems that neither he or his family new about. after his funeral I was approach by one of the factory workers and asked if I would make a small plaque to place in the smoking shed, I at first said no, not because I didn't want to but because I just don't like placing myself in the spotlight so to speak. I have had a change of heart and have decided to make a plaque. the plaque is about 11 inch by about 5 inch( notice how I look after all you people that don't understand real measurement :lol: :lol: ) I also decided to get some wax fillets so I can try them on the inside of the pattern ( see the first photo), they worked a treat. 2nd photo is lettering all glued up, 3rd is with a coat of paint. I had already had a smaller plaque done using a pattern from foundry Joe, but I had misspelt Gray I had Grey, 4th photo

When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Billy Gray Plaque

Post by dallen »

nice job, sorry for the lost of your friend.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks like it came out very well. Maybe it should say "Quit Smoking!"
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

I like the layout of the new (correct spelling) one better than the cramped quartered 4th photo one.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks everyone. When I ordered the wax fillets I didn't know what I was ordering, so I just took a guess and ordered 3/8th radius, my reasoning was too big is better then too small, and they are big, but they worked well. And there is a lifetime supplie in the box, its way bigger box then I thought it would be ;)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Nice job. Billy Grey sounds like he was a rare good man. Maybe he was smarter than most of us. It sounds as though he lived on his own terms and died when his time came—snap—just like that. Most of us spend years trying not to die, and then when the time comes, we spend more months, and even more years, filling ourselves with drugs that make us miserable, and then lying in a bed stuck full of tubes.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. I've lost several family members to smoking, but I don't mean turn this into a health thread.

Mike, are you pouring this into a typical sand mold, flat or vertical?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hey Jerry, at no time did I think your harsh, I understand where your coming from, all good mate :) . this will be cast horizontal in green sand
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Son came around to day to lend a hand and we cast the plaque, plus we finished it off :)

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Beautiful Plaque.

R