Patternmaking Spade/Paddle Bits

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
cae2100

Re: Patternmaking Spade/Paddle Bits

Post by cae2100 »

Rasper wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:20 pm
Your tool-making puts mine to shame.

Richard
You would probably have a blast going through my patternmaker's toolbox, it was made from an old 3 part foundry flask that I used to cast out the body of my steam engine, but flipped everything upside down so the wedges stick up and grooves cut into the bottom of each section for drawer bottoms, so each part sits flat on a table when you take it apart, and it all clamps together using the original clamps used on the flask. All of my chisels, carving knives, various tools I use are all hand forged/laminated and forge welded together and heat treated so it holds an edge far better than most modern chisels you can busy.

But yea, Ive been trying to improve my patternmaking for a few years now, and decided to go down the rabbit hole deep and try to learn as much about it all as much as I could, so I made up my own crank neck chisels from some leaf spring, which I use the crap out of those things, made up the bronze planes, and at that point, I decided I would just come up with a toolbox to start putting the tools in, lol. Now Im up to pretty much 3 toolboxes and it ranges from the one has hand forged tools on top layer, planes in middle, and bottom has measuring/layout tools.

Here's my main toolbox, it was made from an old used flask that I had used ages ago but was just left to hold some patterns, so used it for this. The finish on it was the pine tar, BLO, and turpentine mix that was commonly used on wooden ships. It was added to it in heavy amounts, then used a large torch to heat it all up and it would suck the mix into the wood, then kept flooding the wood and repeating it till the mix stopped soaking in, then left it in the sun for a few days to cure it, then had 3 coats of shellac over top of it to make sure it'll never have any issues, lol. Both inside and outside were coated in the mix.
20220308_221223.jpg
20220308_221648.jpg
Second toolbox has a copper gluepot and hand forged base, jars of different things like shellac that was mixed from flakes and denatured alcohol fuel, beeswax paste for handles/tools, fine abrasive stuff for finishing of patterns, hide glue granules, etc, beneath that is primitive tools like a froe for splitting boards from logs, various hand saws, a wax extruder that I dump chunks of beeswax/paraffin wax mix into and hook the cordless drill up to after heating it slightly with a torch, and it extrudes long wax rod/filament for use as fillet wax, and a bunch of other random tools that dont get used all that often, and the very bottom of that toolbox has pieces of what I call super high value woods that I use for "special" projects, lol. Stuff like white oak burl, genuine mahogany blocks/boards, Ohio buckeye blocks, extremely figured curly maple slabs, and stuff that gets saved for very special projects, lol.

The 3rd toolbox is technically in pieces all over the place right now because Im still in the process of building it, but it has the old 3/4" aluminum foundry letters and numbers with the spikes on the back, 1/2" plastic letters, various tacks, nails, etc that I usually use, hand forged nails that I hammered out a while back that can be used for projects, and was going to add a big drawer to put my scraper plane and plow plane into, since those are probably the last ones Ill be making with all of the alternative bottoms for the plow plane. Ill add a place to put my spade bits and various other bits in there probably since my other two tool boxes are full to the point that the planes and such actually lock together so they cant move around in transit, lol.
Last edited by cae2100 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Here is my toolboxes, or some older pics of them anyways. This one was taken when I still was working on the molding planes, but the tools really havnt changed too much since then.

Top layer, which is all hand tools, carving chisels, etc, stuff you use alot. The baby food jars have dowel centers that I made of different sizes, which you use by drilling into one half of the pattern, put those dowel centers into the hole, then line up the two halves of the pattern and press down, and it transfers a center point into the other half of the pattern, which easily locates a drill bit for drilling the other half for a perfect fit between the two halves of the patterns for blind alignment dowels. The one jar has little brass screws which I use from time to time too for different things on patterns and to attach different things inside of the toolbox.
20221019_162738.jpg
The only thing that's really changed/been added is a set of firmer chisels that I had laminated together/forged out of wrought iron and high carbon steel after wrapping the sockets on them and forge welding those together. If you look closely, you can kinda see the scarf joint of the high carbon steel lamination in the one picture.
20230223_165012_HDR.jpg
20230221_134602.jpg
Second is planes, which the little box on top sits on top of other box in there and locks itself in place, which everything is tight to the point that nothing can move around/slide.
20221019_162800.jpg
And bottom drawer, which the round fillet balls have gone to the top drawer and fine bronze wool was taken to toolbox 2, but other than that, nothing really has changed too much here.
20221019_162820.jpg
Last edited by cae2100 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
cae2100

Re: Patternmaking Spade/Paddle Bits/Tools

Post by cae2100 »

Here is the Toolbox #2, which is larger bits of stuff, lol. I didnt really make this box, but I was at a thrift store the one day and saw this box, which at this place, if you dont buy something then, it probably wont be there a week from then. I saw it there and something about this box just clicked with me and I kicked myself for not getting it, so was about to start building one similar to it, but we went back out a little over a month later, and right as we pulled into the store, it was sitting out at the front of the store, right directly in front of the car, so it was meant to be and came home with me, lol. It was pretty beat up looking, so I gave it a coat of shellac to make it look a little better.
20221230_005809.jpg
Here is the top layer, which the jars are just of various finishes, the paper clamps/clippy things, which I use alot for clamping small parts together when gluing up, glue pot and metal thing is the base around it, bottom left is a brass alcohol burner that I use for heating up the glue pot when we dont have the woodburner going and use it for heating the fillet irons/balls and wax spoon for doing fillets and filling in defects in the patterns.
20230113_072225.jpg
Second layer is primitive/larger stuff that doesnt get used as much, which is where my oddball saws, spokeshave, froe, etc such that I dont use very often live.
20230108_015655.jpg
And bottom drawer has the "special woods" like oak burl, genuine mahogany, ohio buckeye, curly maple, etc. that I use for special projects.
20230108_015529.jpg
Last edited by cae2100 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

I briefly mentioned the glue pot stuff, but here it is, lol. I was wanting to play with hide glue since I saw how fast and easy it was to build up a pattern using it, and it really is really easy to work with and is almost like superglue in how fast it sets up, but much easier to clean up and such, after you get the glue pot setup, lol. I couldnt find a glue pot anywhere that was what I was looking for, so I took a copper pipe that I had and cut it open, then stuck it in the forge and annealed it and hammered it out flat, laid out a design I wanted, and started hammering it together. It was wrapped up and held together using french dovetails/cramps/fingers, which were hammered together and brazed together, bottom was hammered over and an insert was put in using the same french dovetail construction and brazed. The top was folded and hammered in till it was the shape I wanted. It still has the ripples in it because I didnt have a stake anvil to be able to get in there and start straightening them out and working them out flat to clean it up, so it looks a bit lumpy/beat up. I went with copper instead of cast iron like normal ones are because it's a good conductor of heat, and more than anything, copper's antibacterial and it helps the glue from going rancid over time, so the amount of glue I make and use lasts much much longer before it has to be tossed out due to bacteria making it spoil.

The glue cup itself was a copper cup for moscow mule that I got at a thrift store for like $3, but took the handle off and filed the solder off, then heated it up to anneal it, and started hammering the lip over on it after cutting it down to size, then made the glue pot and moscow mule cup fit together with the lip, and just worked everything till I was happy with it, and the cap is of white oak burl, but it really has no grain structure at all that you can feel, and has a very high amount of figuring to it. I wasnt sure what to use as a handle for it, but so just used a piece of twine, and it has a hole in the lid also for a baking thermometer that I got at the grocery store for like a dollar to tell what temp the glue is at. The lid is there just to keep the water from evaporating from the glue as badly when it's heating up and such.
20221118_194612.jpg
20221118_194744(1).jpg
20221118_194950.jpg
During the winter, we heat our house with a woodburner, and I just sit the glue pot on top of the woodburner, but for those times that I want to use it and dont have the woodburner going, Ill use a hotplate for it, but those times I really want to work on gluing stuff up is usually times when the power goes out and we have no power for the glue pot due to a bad storm or something, so I hammered out a base for it, which is made to sit on my workbench and my alcohol burner that I hammered out and made, it fits underneath of it so I can use it even when the power is out.
20230113_072131.jpg
I had made two of the alcohol burners because I wasnt sure what one I really wanted, and the brass was only 0.015" thick shim stock, so I was worried one would fail when working it, but it seemed to work perfectly fine and I got two burners that turned out great. I ended up keeping the slightly larger one, and if I fill up the burner half way, it'll burn for 4-5 hours, so I just add a thin layer (maybe 1/4") in the bottom of the denatured alcohol fuel (same stuff I use for mixing with shellac flakes), and it lasts for a while and lets me do all of the wax work and such that I need to do usually without having extra left over that would just evaporate/go to waste. It'll boil a quart/1 liter of water in around 12-15 mins from going from cold water from a water bottle.
20221225_234341.jpg
It was shaped in a block of black locust that I have that has various dome shapes of different sizes that I carved into it, and it works great for copper/brass work really. The threads in the top two pieces are 11/16-18 threads I think, which looked to be the right size for what I wanted and I had the tap set here for some reason, lol, and the tube going up that holds the wick is an old 357 mag bullet casing that I cut the tapered front section off, and the primer back end off, which because the body of the bullets are tapered, I made a tight fit for the bullet casing and just pressed it into the threaded bushing to lock it in place permanently. And yes, it was shaped to look kinda like an old pop pop type oil can, lol.
Last edited by cae2100 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Also, the crank neck chisels, Here's a better look at them, which were hidden under the carving chisels. Here they are without handles, which I just turned some ornamental/soft maple handles since they're never going struck or have any real prying force on them, they're just pairing chisels, so almost anything works for handles for those. Ive used the crank neck gouges a ton for blending the parts of coreboxes together when mating them together at a 45 degree angle, like the one I use for the vertical milling head.
20220227_180353.jpg
20220227_190311.jpg
I had forged out a set of various gouges and a flat one, but had one extra that I forged out and just re-forged it into more of a pointed crank neck gouge almost, then took it into the shop and cut teeth on the bottom of it to turn it into a crank neck round bottom rasp that I use quite often for shaping stuff like plane handles, doing roughing/light stock removal on patterns to help shape stuff, etc. It gets used quite a bit and has been quite nice to be able to get into places normal rasps/files cant get into, and you dont have to worry about busting your knuckles on the stuff too when working on something.
20220316_210224.jpg
20220316_210336.jpg
To cut the teeth, I just took a piece of M2 HSS and shaped it at a 90 degree angle, while having the table tilted down at a 45 degree angle, but tilt the tool bit back a little bit and it give it a tap with a hammer, the crappier the HSS, the better because it will want to mushroom over in use than wanting to chip/shatter like better stuff will. I made the rasp up because I couldnt find a fine cut crank neck one that was rounded like that, which was what I needed, and hand cut rasps work alot better than standard machine cut ones, and are stupidly expensive to buy.

I have a bunch of other tools too in the patternmaking tool boxes, but that mostly sums up a big portion of them, lol. The letters and stuff for toolbox #3, I dont have any real pics of the stuff, so Ill toss some stuff up as I can get it, lol.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Sorry for the spam, but with the limit on pics, I kinda have to split it up a bit. This will be my last one for a while, and I know alot of you dont really watch videos, but here's some really rough videos that really arent edited at all, but they show the glue pot, wax fillet balls/irons/tools, and show the wax extruder in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIliU432yeU - Hide Glue for Patternmaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCaphnyNvMo - Wax work/Adding wax fillets to patterns

This one's a bit more edited/refined/watchable, but it shows the steps and everything for the wax rod extruder that I use for fillet rods and materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2GVloXXYU

That's all I really have for now, that pretty much sums up my patternmaking toolboxes and tools that Ive made so far for patternmaking, lol. If you have any questions about the stuff in the boxes, just ask.

Edit: I have no idea why the youtube tag button isnt working, so there's links instead.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Those tools are all so crazy cool. One day I will set up a forge and give it a go, must be a great pleasure to use tools you crafted yourself.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

well, if youre ever in this area, let me know and Ill go out and fire everything up and we'll hammer out some stuff, lol. I want to make some more gouges anyhow, I made a few for my uncle and after making them, I realized the ones I had been using are so rough, and I have only one size of gouge anyhow, so just need to go out and hammer out a few more, lol. Offer's open to anyone on here really, just realize that it's quite a bit of work to make the stuff, and around here, you dont just sit and watch, lol.