CNC guys...Will ya cut me some patterns?

Maybe someone here has that thing you have been after?
4cylndrfury

CNC guys...Will ya cut me some patterns?

Post by 4cylndrfury »

curious, is a sketchup file something that you can make a tool path from...see where Im going with this? Harry, can you set up the forum to allow .skp files? (sketchup files)
skrtchup flask
skrtchup flask
Wondering what one of you cad/CNC guys would want in compensation for cutting something like what you see above from some lexan or basswood/mahogany? About 3 inches wide and 10 inches long, 3/8" thick main body, about 3/16" deep in the depression, the ribs about 3/16" tall - so overall, about 9/16" thick. its 2 views of the same piece. The ribs would be the underside, the depression view is the top face.

sorry for all the edits...im kinda figuring out what i want as I go. This was originally a part of the thread where I posted my flask side patterns in the pattern shop section lol
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Re: CNC guys...Will ya cut me some patterns?

Post by Harry »

All you need to do is zip the file, or even just change the name to zip and tell folks what to rename it to.

I would have to think on doing the patterns. It would be a great help to the forum folks but I really couldnt charge what the machine time is. Can you save as a stl from sketchup so I could bring it into my software? I could get an idea of what machine time would be that way. I believe there is some kind of a plugin for SU that will allow this but it seems like I had read somewhere it only works with the version prior to the current one.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looking at this again I am wondering, is this a flask side? Do the ribs need to be there? The reason I ask is because if you dont need them then it makes for easier molding having a flat backed pattern. If you do need them then this would be a good place to use a matchplate so you could have the ribs on the back side of the plate. Another option would be a molding board with slots cut into it where the ribs are so it will lay flat on the board for molding the first side, somewhat of a follower.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

I'd say, if you're going to do CNC, do something cooler. Like put your name in it or something!
Only the highest standards of precision!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Yes, if you are going to go to the teouble of CNC ing it you might as well add more to it.
It would be quicker to make it by glueing bits together though. ;)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Yeah guys its a flask pattern. The idea behind the simple design was to keep the tol path shorter so it wouldnt take all day to machine, and keep the cost low. I was hoping to get perfect edges and lines that im not capable of with the tooling currently at my disposal. I need a decent table saw really, then id be comfortable trying to get good square lines and corners.

I did have an AH HA!!! Moment recently...a big box retailer near me recently began carrying mahogany trim, including 3" x 1/4" x 8' flat stock, amd some small square dowels...maybe 3/16". I suppose i could maybe start there?
-Leonardo Di Vinci

-Jim Morrison
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

If you where closer to me... or other way around :lol: I would have a go at it for you, It would only just fit on my mill :roll: I need to rebuild the drivers for it and change the lead screws. At the moment I can only cut at 250mm/ min (10"/min) so quite slow. It would take about an hour or two to cut that I'm gussing.

Have you got a jig saw and a hand plane? if so Screw the saw to a plank of wood, add a guide and you can rip all the wood you need. Then it is just a case of clean it up with the hand plane :idea:

Then again if you just moved to NZ I would I would make it for you for free. CNCed or on the saw :)
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Thanks nudge. But i have no plane. Im gonna take a shot ot this mahogany trim. Not sure how it will turn out, but likely to be a good start! I am curious though, what is an hour of macine time worth? Also, i remember from BYMC forum, someone posted a program that would translate a 2d bitmap into a 3d relief that cad can create a toolpath from. Anyone else remember that one? Could make a flat pattern easy, at least the design portion.
-Leonardo Di Vinci

-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I bill the machine at $50 an hr but that is just cut time. That is just an estimating tool though and normally I will figure in a minimum.

Those bmp to grey scale are dodgy at best for art type stuff and you dont want to use them for drafted type drawings. Here is one page that talks about getting a stl from SU though there are loads of hit on a simple search.

What about the raised ribs? If you use the recessed side inside of the flask that will act as the sand gripper and you wont need the ribs. This will make molding easier since the pattern will be flat backed.
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I bill the machine at $50 an hr but that is just cut time. That is just an estimating tool though and normally I will figure in a minimum.
Thats not too bad, I would charge about the same to make it on the saw. I would probibly do the first set for free for a forum member, as long as it didnt cost me anything.
But that is just me. ;)