CNC guys...Will ya cut me some patterns?

Maybe someone here has that thing you have been after?
Harry
Site Admin

Re: CNC guys...Will ya cut me some patterns?

Post by Harry »

I have been thinking about making a set that could mail around. Figure it as a triple shrink, that is make the wood patterns and cast a set of them for actually sending. Then each member who wanted to use them would cast a set of patterns for themselves to use and send them along.

One thing about making these type of flask is you need some way of getting a fairly true 90* on them.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Harry, Can you give me an estimate for the following dxf file in something stronger than MDF? I'd pay materials + Shipping + whatever your machine time costs. I was told it'd all fit on a single 2x2 piece of wood available at most box stores.

3/4" 2x2 piece of birch plywood at Lowes is 9.23$ so it couldn't be too much more in Cali :-p

If dxf is not your format i will draw everything in Sketchup and export to stl.
Attachments
mantis.zip
rename to dxf
(777.71 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Shadow, dxf is fine for that sort of file since it is all 2d profiling (I think it is anyhow). Stl for 3d shapes or where you have pockets and such.

The file needs to be cleaned up and nested into whatever size stock it will be run on leaving enough room for the tool to pass between pieces, most likely a 1/4" endmill for this type of thing.

I would say about $50 + shipping and it looks like it would fit into a medium flat rate box once cut so another $11... call it $60 total if you clean up the file.

Heck, I went ahead and cleaned it up... didnt take as long as I thought it might.

I do have some questions though. On the pieces I have placed in the lower right corner of the 2 x 2 sheet four of them have a circle in a circle. This looks to me like a hole in a pocket, if so how deep is the pocket? Also in the very corner is a piece that was labeled spindle motor mount. I have no idea how that would be cut with the overlapping vectors so I would need more information on that piece.

I have attached the dxf of the cleaned and nested pieces. You will need to unzip it.
Attachments
mantis_cleaned.zip
(157.95 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Harry, You could ignore all the circles. There are no pocketed pieces on this whole machine that I'm aware of. We are about to move into a more permanent location though, so it'll be a week or two. I see the potential to make some $$ for yourself harry, offering your services for pre-cut kits, I looked everywhere online for the kit that fablabs had sent out for this, but to no avail.

So needless to say, once I know my new address, I'll be pm'ing you for the paypal address and final price :D
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Are you certain? It sure looks like those pieces are set up for countersunk bolts with the larger circle being the clearance for socket and washer. Also wouldnt you want the holes drilled while it was on the cnc? There is also a few larger holes, seems like it would be a pain to lay them all out and do them by hand after the fact.

Lastly look over that piece in the very lower right corner of my drawing, the circle extends beyond the rectangular part so that needs something to make a part out of the vectors.

What were these selling for before? I would be good with the price I said above of $60 because that would leave me with $40 after material and shipping.
Muller
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I honestly couldn't tell you what they were selling for. It was some educational gig, The lower right hand corner, the circle is used to show the motor for the spindle. the 3 mini circles are where dowel pins would go.

I only mentioned ignoring all the circles because I do not know exact dimensions of the circles. I know all the holes are cut all the way through.

All the rods are .375 diameter,
If 40 bucks is profit and the time to cut the plywood is minimal, you have an easy profit right there. Its Open source, so you wouldnt be selling the item itself, just the time it took to make it ;)

here's a close up of where that small block in the bottom right of the dxf file would be applied. It should make sense now.
Close up of spindle mount.
Close up of spindle mount.
zclose.jpg (55.51 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
If you need more reference, lots of pictures here.
http://makeyourbot.org/mantis9-1
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I see, the larger holes where the screws pass through probably should be cut though and I could put a center drill in and spot all of the other hole centers for you to drill to size.

Yes on the service end, I understand how that works in that you could not offer to sell a kit but you could link to the project and offer the material and time in cutting the parts as you said. Probably have to word any offer carefully.
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Now if you would be so kind and post a pic of the rest of the mill then I can work out where the rest of the bits go :lol:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Shadowfangs wrote:If you need more reference, lots of pictures here.
http://makeyourbot.org/mantis9-1
;) There ya go Nudge!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Thanks for that :)

No quick reply here eather :?
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!