Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Maybe someone here has that thing you have been after?
latzanimal

Re: Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Post by latzanimal »

dallen wrote:well I'm a lot closer then socal, I'd do the melt but my big crucible is fixin to have cast iron melted in it. but if you can make a pattern and bring it down we'll see about filling it with brass.
A cast iron shell would be cool too.... ;)
dallen

Post by dallen »

well if you want to try I'm game, might be a little bit tight doing it with an A20 thats the biggest crucible (which I plan on filling with Cast Iron soon) that I have, I can get enough sand so thats no problem. only things left are a pattern and a pot to pour out of.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

I can make the pattern. Just tell me what and how big.. how much draft, if any... etc
dallen

Post by dallen »

figure out how thick the shell is going to be, that will let you know how many square inches, which you can convert to pounds of material then add enough for a sprue which will eat up a whole lot of metal in itself but gotta have it. If this shell is on the thick side say 3/16 to 1/4 inch and is very big in diameter or very tall, your actually looking at a pour that will have to be done with a hoist which I don't have, due to the amount of metal.

I have some bronze bearings/bushings that are 1/4" thick I will measure the diameter and width then weigh it to find out how much metal is in one. should give an idea of what it will take to do your drum shell.

pattern material, I would use PVC and make the pattern as slick as possible with as little draft as possible, the slick plastic should pull out ok. probably have to make a wood mandrel to turn the plastic on. lots of work.

latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

What about shrinkage? Is there much in cast iron?

As far as the pattern. You don't think a wood pattern, turned, sanded and painted, sanded again, then coated with powder would be very good?

I'm not sure how thick to go.. how thick is the old sewer pipe usually? That was my first intention was to find an old sewer pipe. They call them poop pipe drums.. :lol:
dallen

Post by dallen »

talking about sewer pipe, your looking at the bigger the pipe the thicker the wall, 12 inch pipe is usually around 3/8 I believe not sure I know that Sch 40 12" is around 5/16"

I was thinking that with PVC it would save a lot of work on the pattern if you could cut it smooth, it machines like butter and all you need for lube is soapy water and a razor sharp bit. the other thing is that if the pattern is slick enough it will slide out of the sand without to much trouble. but wood should do the same thing. HOW big in diameter and depth are you wanting to make this drum?

The shrinkage on Cast Iron is about the same as Brass maybe a little less I would have to get my book back and look it up.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

C900 for heavier pipe, check water line jobs for an offcut if you see something close to what you are after. Those jobs usually will have loads of pieces about. I have some 20" here I think and it is well over an inch thick, 12" is close to an inch.

I wonder if doing this with draft going each way from the middle might ease a lot in the extra material from the draft only going one direction.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

would be a bear to cut the draft I would think, or you would have to make it a split pattern. cylinders are naturally drafted you just split them thru the side wall so you have two parts,

use Sodium Silicate and sand to mold the thing, probably take a few trys to get it right, but thats what happens with a new complex job you try till you get it right.

latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

I have been looking for a few years and it isn't a 'got to have it now' kind of thing. Dave just happened to mention he was going to melt some iron..

The drum would be the same as the bronze, 13.875" diameter, 6.5 or 8" deep/tall and I'm not particular on thickness for this.

One the guys that helped move my lathe was an operator on pipelines for years, he's offered some 20" cut off pieces he has. If I could find enough different cut off to make a small kit, it would be kind of neat, but then what the hell would I do with it? A couple of drum shows and...... I wouldn't want to lug that thing all over...
dallen

Post by dallen »

well the iron is a have to and the pattern is made up and ready to go, for a spell I was hung up on not having any tools to handle the crucible with, got that fix. Also got off on a side tangent an made a burner for a friend that is building a sail boat and needed to cast some pretty big parts, look up SVSeeker to check out what he is doing. Also the weather has been really crappy around here for the last few weeks like when I can't pour the sun shines and its nice but when I got the time no cooperation from mother nature at all.

I think I can pour this, or anyway I'm willing to give it a shot, my crucible won't be worth a damn for Brass once I pour iron in it cause the stuff don't clean out, so a new crucible would be needed.

metal wise, the site I used to calculate the weight says with your measurements at 1/4" thick adding 15 pounds for the sprue and runners your looking at 35 to 40 pounds of melted metal in the pot. so its a two man pour or one guy with a hoist.

I believe that the way to mold it is in sodium silicate with fine sand, that's no problem I can get both locally, then all you have to do is make a box for backing sand which can be loose.

you get ready, bring the stuff down and we'll see about making a drum, might make youtube drum making histroy