Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Maybe someone here has that thing you have been after?
Jammer

Re: Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Post by Jammer »

I think the idea to cast it is for some fancy designs on the side. I suppose brazing would cause all kinds of stress and effect the sound. What do I know, the only drum I ever had was a coffee can with a chunk of inner tube stretched over it. :roll:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Piecing one together would ruin the "Bell brass" quality of the shell.

Jammer, I had one of those, but mine had little indians painted on the side...lol
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

We saw one of those and, of course, my dad said "I can make that!" So, mine said Folger's on the side. :P
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Did I lose HT... or are you thinking?
HT1

Post by HT1 »

I'm limited to a #10 Cucible so about 30 lbs of metal, you are going to need close to 45 to get a out a ring as large as you need. Besides my furnace is OOC right now anyway, it will be up after the new referactory comes in. it is bouncing around in the back of my head for a way to do it that will use less metal, less sand
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKGx_Ax ... r_embedded

Here's an excellent way to make your drums. Now if we can figure out a way to do it in the back yard. Start with a refractory lined drum and then some way to spin it. I think it could be done, it would just take me about 10 years to complete.
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Very cool Jammer. I wonder if you could convert a dryer or wash machine.... :roll:

On another note. I found and contacted the foundry at which the Treebronze drums are made. Sales tells me they have a 450 lb minimum pour and do not accept outside materials. However, I've been talking to the guy who finishes the shells for Treebronze, not sure if he works for the foundry, but I get the impression he might, he is suppose to be checking with his boss about doing it.

I have also found a foundry out PA that specializes in art castings, from 1- 5000. So I plan on talking to them also.....

The search continues.....
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Jammer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qKGx_Ax ... r_embedded

Here's an excellent way to make your drums. Now if we can figure out a way to do it in the back yard. Start with a refractory lined drum and then some way to spin it. I think it could be done, it would just take me about 10 years to complete.

I the Navy I had the misfortune of working with a cyctrifical casting machine. that video does not show the pucker factor involved. let me try and put it into terms we can all relate to put the biggest piece of pipe you possibly can into the chuck of your lathe. we had a 36 inch machine. everything wa attached with a face plate and clamps, not a chuck, which ment getting it anywhere near centered and ballanced was a nighmare. now turn your lathe on at it's max speed in my case 1000RPM, now pour molten metal into the end, while it is running.
now turn on the cooling water to the outside of the pipe.

if working with a hot crucible makes you a little nervious, try adding rotating machinery, and water to the mix. it's really scary. now days of course this sort of thing is all automated.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

1000 RPM! I thought it was a slow turning process, like around 200 to 300 rpm. Anything faster would be scarey.
I was thinking McGiver style, hook a drum up to a car axle and spin it. Let it cool on it's own. Centering and balance would be an issue. 40 pound of Brass in a tube that went out of balance... maybe I'll use my wife's car. ;)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Whichever car you use, make sure it has cruise control.....;)