Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Maybe someone here has that thing you have been after?
Jammer

Re: Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Post by Jammer »

We do tend to be contagious.

It all boils down to a simple phrase... "Shoot, I can do that!" It's all down hill from there. :)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That last quote sounds reasonable for making the mold and pouring latz. This is a pretty big pour, at 60lbs would require a full A20 which is no small feat for a small foundry guy, especially one who works alone. The making of the mold by itself is going to take quite a bit of time and effort which is why I thought the other price was high because the burnout and pour is relatively easy.

Tell you what, since you are saying you want to be involved we could maybe work something out. You build the pattern and flask for a sand casting, bring it along with an A20 SiC Bilge shape crucible and the metal and I will help you mold and pour it. You leave the crucible and any leftovers here but they will be here in the future if you want to come back and do it again :)

It would be spring before I could host this and of course you would have to sign a waiver because I dont have any insurance for someone working here, kind of like if you want to ride the bull fine... but you do know its a bull right? I think I am about a half days drive from you and there are KOA Kabin/RV park accommodations not far away if you wanted to do the driving on a different day from the pouring.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

I think Latz may be a little more then a half day away
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

dallen wrote:I think Latz may be a little more then a half day away
I thought I had read somewhere he was in SoCal? My ole brain has its hiccups though.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Harry wrote:
dallen wrote:I think Latz may be a little more then a half day away
I thought I had read somewhere he was in SoCal? My ole brain has its hiccups though.
Awesome Harry! I would love to take you up on this... however, I'm in IL, a bit farther than a half a days drive... :D

Can we meet in say.. Texas? :lol:

If I fly, Will the crucible fit in the overhead compartment?
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sorry Latz, I dont know why I thought you were in SoCal. Bummer though because I was thinking that might be kind of fun and both of us would get something for it. I dont plan on getting to TX any time soon ;)
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

I still appreciate the offer... Thank you.

I'll get this done some how....
dallen

Post by dallen »

well I'm a lot closer then socal, I'd do the melt but my big crucible is fixin to have cast iron melted in it. but if you can make a pattern and bring it down we'll see about filling it with brass.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hehe, I almost said OK is almost to Texas :)

Maybe if you hit up the other forum someone will host you a little closer Latz. In sand I would do this as cope/cheek/drag with the sheek being the outside of the drum, drag the inside and just a flat cope. If you made it a little tall you could probably forgo the cope and pour it open top. Really doesnt seem like it would be too tough to make but it is going to be a huge mold and a big pot of metal which kind of takes it out of the hands of the average melter type guy.
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Harry wrote:Hehe, I almost said OK is almost to Texas :)
I have In-Laws in Houston.. ;)