Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Maybe someone here has that thing you have been after?
latzanimal

Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Post by latzanimal »

I had this posted over at BYMC, but I thought I'd see what reaction I got here....

I am a drummer and drum builder.

I have 40 or 50 lbs of broken cymbals I would like to have someone cast into a drum shell, roughly dimensioned : 14" cylinder 7" tall and about 3/16" thick. I can lathe the cast piece and would prefer to.

Anyone interested? I can post some drums I've made in the other stuff section...

Here is the link to the ad over there: http://backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/ ... php?t=5266
HT1

Re: Looking for someone to do some bronze casting..

Post by HT1 »

Here is the problem, A 14 inch OD ring 7 inches tall with a 1/2 wall will weigh 46 Lb roughly, depending on the exact composition. trim that wall down to 1/4 in you get to 22lbs tht is probably the thinnest you could cast this in a conventional manner.for a pattern you will have to find someone with a lathe that can cut a piece of 14 inch wood. then having to work with a mystery metal, scrap cymbals? that is a serious prototype job.

we are looking at 3-5 days work shipping 50 lbs of metal twice both times in oversized boxes. It's going to be expensive
dallen

Post by dallen »

found this one Wikipedia. Cymbals are made from four main alloys, all of them copper-based. These are: bell bronze, malleable bronze, brass and nickel silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbal_alloys

don't know if it will help but tells what cymbals are made from.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
HT1

Post by HT1 »

dallen wrote:found this one Wikipedia. Cymbals are made from four main alloys, all of them copper-based. These are: bell bronze, malleable bronze, brass and nickel silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbal_alloys

don't know if it will help but tells what cymbals are made from.

DA

i might have overemphasized the Mystery metal Aspect, I know cymbols are bell bronze normally, and I have cast bell bronze before, melt it degass it, pour it.

But again scrap cymbals, are probably twice the size of any of our crucible sizes, that means cutting them in at least quarters to get them into a crucible. best have double hearing protection for that, or a plasma cutter and a respirator, copper bassed alloys are foul when vaporized.

This is a BIG project for a hobbiest.

If the money is right I would try, at least the pattern, and the mold, and a bronze casting. leave the cymbals for last.

dont forget, 14 in OD means 18 inch flasks with a 7 inch cheek section minimum that is 140LBs. I would have to hire a helper to handle that :shock:
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

HT, I understand this is a HUGE undertaking. I would love to "try" it, but the last thing I need to do is put another iron in the fire.

Making a pattern is not a problem. I can turn the pattern to any size needed. I make wood drums. Mostly in a segmented design (think segmented bowl) but have also made stave drums, and the typical ply shell.

I would also like to turn the bronze casting. I want this to be as much of "something I build" as possible.

I can also cut the cymbals down if needed. The only thing I can't do is the casting.

All of the cymbals are from the same line from the same company, so there composition is all the same.

There is a reason Ocheltree and Sonor charge $2500 or more for a snare made like this. I understand the costs and the reasons.....

So, are you interested? ;)

Edit: Here is a link to some of the drums/shells I've built http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/album.php?albumid=69
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

We can't look at the link because we need to log in. :(
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Here are some pics... The ones with the Goetz badge are from when I worked at a local drum shop.

Image Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

How about doing the Bronze the same way? Sections of castings and then clamp them around a form and braze them up. Finish them with a ring of bronze on top and bottom and polish. :) :idea:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

nice
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Jammer wrote:How about doing the Bronze the same way? Sections of castings and then clamp them around a form and braze them up. Finish them with a ring of bronze on top and bottom and polish. :) :idea:

The tone would be awful, and that thin, the brazing could cause all kinds of wierd warpage, unless it was done in an oven under pressure, and even then, any unbonded area would cause an anomaly in the tone.

Buying a piece of 14 inch pipe would probably be the best, cheapest, and most repeatable option, of course that seems to kill his "homemade" requirement :?