CNC milling services

Providing or Needing a Service?
Harry
Site Admin

CNC milling services

Post by Harry »

Figured I would open this thread here since there is already a couple people looking for estimates on cost for having patterns or parts cut. I am willing to give quotes on whatever types of projects folks are working on. Please understand that billing rate is $50 per hr which is normally only counted as machine time unless the project requires setup, sourcing materials ect and the cut time is quite short. Pretty much a minimum is going to be in the $50 area. I think this is pretty fair, my brother charges $85 hr at his shop and is talking about raising his rates.

I am willing to do community projects too though, like the discussion of flask patterns. This sounds like a great idea to make a set of patterns to send from person to person they can make their own patterns from. I also think this would be fun to do with matchplates that will fit into these flasks. It will take some time to get a small library of patterns together but once we have them it would only be the cost of mailing them around and each member could make their own pattern/matchplate off of them that they could then keep and continue to use for as long as they want.

Anyhow, if anyone has things they would like cut or a guesstimate on what it would cost post a stl or dxf (stl for 3d work and dxf for 2d work) and I will see what I can do.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jelly

Re: CNC milling services

Post by Jelly »

Harry,

I just wanted to come in to this thread and personally thank you for offering your time. Time is money as we all know, and you make services like these affordable to hobby folk like us.

Shadow
davidbraley

Post by davidbraley »

I like this idea. Maybe "Found Dreaming" on the side of the flask pattern too. It's a great name. 8-)
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Just another idea :idea:
Should we start a library of FREE parts that members can down load and cut on their own mill.

Parts like the flywheel on my engine ?
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

David, I was thinking flat sided for easy consistent casting. If the consensus is to go with a decorative design then I am up for it, maybe we should have a little design contest. One thing about a dcorative outside is there will be considerable extra work in cleaning up the first two castings since they will be the master pattern and pattern they will want to be as perfect and smooth as possible.

Nudge, thats a great idea. Should that have its own forum or just a thread for it? We could just post everything into one long thread and use the first post as an index. Files can be zipped and posted regardless of file type.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

We could just post everything into one long thread and use the first post as an index. Files can be zipped and posted regardless of file type.
I think that would be the best idea. if people wanted to keep their files under their name it could be edited I guess.

I couldnt see a quick reply in this post? Not sure why :?
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nudge wrote:I couldnt see a quick reply in this post?
The QR has to be enabled in each forum, silly as it seems like the switch to turn it on board wide would do just that but it doesnt. Anyhow a note like you left here and in the other one this morning (for me anyhow) is all it takes to get me to notice. Like I mentioned in the other thread I dont use it most of the time so I dont think to look for it.
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Maybe a sticky in the pattern shop forum? Yeah, im all for a pattern library. Perhaps though, there should be a standing rule that besides the zipped attachment, you also post an image in a standard format like jpeg or bmp so people without rendering software can keep up. It would be awesome if the digital pattern library included things that people without a mill could reference in the wanted to buy section: the buyer can post a wtb thread with a link to the post containing the digital file, and the mill operator can give a price. Might make a nifty little side income for mill owners.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Peedee

Post by Peedee »

Hi Harry, long time no speak.

I've a couple of patterns I want to make up and judging the feasability of getting you to cut them for me.

Freight may be a killer but timescale is pretty loose.

They are around 18" by 14" and 2" deep.

If I sent you over a file could you comment? I can do most file types, do you prefer .stl or igs?

(I haven't finished the drawings yet so this is not a fast moving thing)

Liking the site BTW
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Stl would be best for me as I can import it easily in both Solidworks and Aspire. The size may make shipping a problem but if it will fit into a flat rate box it could be a lot less. I will certainly take a look at it and let you know what it would cost.
Muller