CNC milling services

Providing or Needing a Service?
Peedee

Re: CNC milling services

Post by Peedee »

I'll get some drawings finished and throw over the stl files.

Many thanks
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Harry, or anyone else, how hard would it to be to cut out this shape out of wood. Long story short, I want to build a drumshell out of puzzle pieces of different types/species. The main part of the piece is 2.245" square not including the ears and .8125" thick. The angle would be 9 degrees on 2 of the sides.

Last edited by latzanimal on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Oh, that looks like fun! 8-)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

No bites? Its not like I'm asking someone to cast a bronze shell or something... :D
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

LOL thats a nightmare part!! Would be cool if you can get them made though. Personally im thinking veneer......
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Latz, sorry I have been a bit preoccupied lately. Looking at your part I see two things that would be troublesome, one is the need for a holddown since I do not have a vacuum. This could be either tabs or an onion skin and either would mean some finish work on however many parts you are looking at there. The other issue is more problematic and that is in the tight radius, just looking at it I would say the area at the narrow point of the protruding connectors might be pretty tight getting a bit into there and the 9* taper on the bit will mean the bit is a smaller diameter at the tip than up at the top of the piece.

I think it would be very possible with the right design, I can also imagine it would involve quite a lot of time with so many pieces. I am thinking one would first run the tapered sides with a bit that matches the slanted edge and no tabs on these sides because when you use them with a tapered bit you get lines up the side of the piece then using a straight endmill cut the other two sides leaving tabs. It would certainly make for a very interesting piece especially with a variety of woods.

Hmmmm, been sitting here looking at it and I dont think it could be cut with a tapered endmill and fit together right. I think it could be done though by setting up a fixture to hold the stock at 9* and cut with a straight endmill. If you want to get a cost estimate I would be willing to set up a test but I can imagine it might be 5 to $10 per piece plus material. Send me a PM to get my attention (triggers an email to me)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Harry, thanks for the eval. I was afraid that would be the case. The drum is a donor as a tribute to a fellow builder who was killed in a car accident recently, leaving his wife and 1 year old son without a source of income. He was one of the very few small guys actually having success in a coorperate/box mart world.

Anyway, at that size, I would need either 60 or 80 pieces. Another option would be to increase the size which would drop the count down to 48 or 64 pieces. It would also change the angle to 11.25 degrees. Just did a quick figure: If the piece was 2.8" square (not including tabs) 48 pieces would be enough giving me 3 rows high, of which I could get a 6 or 7' inch shell from. Hmmm.....

Let me think on it and decide if I can spare the cash to do it.

Thanks again...

Edit: Would it be easier to have one pattern or 3 different, one for each row (top, middle, bottom) The top & bottom pattern would be missing either a tab or an ear so the outside would be flat...
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Wouldnt matter a lot to me on using different pieces. A little more in the setup files but once on the machine cutting a straight edge or a notch/pin edge would be the same to the machine, he just goes where you tell him to.

I have no clue as to what a drum like this would fetch in the market but I would imagine it could be a pretty price. My guess is that after assembly you would be tuning the inside and outside down to the thickness you want right? It would be a downright beautiful piece but of course just the assembly and finish is going to be some considerable work.

Considering all of this it would make sense you would be using some high grade wood, that alone could cost as much or more than the cutting, as far as larger pieces, that would not change the pricing much per piece as it is mainly all about setup. Considering the cause I would do what I can on pricing to help you out if you decide you want to move forward, I would of course expect some good karma for my part ;)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Please excuse me for butting in with a great song after Harry mentioned the word karma ;) instant karma :P :P

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Harry wrote:Wouldnt matter a lot to me on using different pieces. A little more in the setup files but once on the machine cutting a straight edge or a notch/pin edge would be the same to the machine, he just goes where you tell him to.

I have no clue as to what a drum like this would fetch in the market but I would imagine it could be a pretty price. My guess is that after assembly you would be tuning the inside and outside down to the thickness you want right? It would be a downright beautiful piece but of course just the assembly and finish is going to be some considerable work.

Considering all of this it would make sense you would be using some high grade wood, that alone could cost as much or more than the cutting, as far as larger pieces, that would not change the pricing much per piece as it is mainly all about setup. Considering the cause I would do what I can on pricing to help you out if you decide you want to move forward, I would of course expect some good karma for my part ;)
I understand the price per piece will be the same, the difference would come in the amount of pieces I would need. The first design calls for 20 pieces per ring or layer. It is base on a 20 piece stave shell design, which it basically is. The second idea with bigger pieces, is based on a 16 pc stave. For those that aren't familiar with staves, think wine barrel...

As far as wood, yes, it would be all exotic woods to get drastic differences in the each piece. However, I will only need 1 or 2 board feet of each. I can precut all of the pieces to a square of determined size so you wouldn't have to do anymore than the pieces themselves. It would be less than $200 for the wood.

Also, by leaving off the notch/ pin on two of the rows, will make it easier on edges later, hopefully, a little easier on setup also.

I have no idea what this would fetch on the open market as I don't believe its been done before, which makes me want to do it more and more. I can only hope that it would bring a hefty price to help the family out. And yes, I would be lathing the shell to get a smooth, round surface inside and out.

The PDFs are from a CAD design I had a friend do (the same friend that turned me onto the lathe). I can have him send me the files in just about any format you would need. I would also have him design the other 2 pieces.

AS far as Karma, I would send you as much as I could and if you wanted, I can include you in the kudos for the drum/donation. Whether you wanted you personally or your own company, what have you. They are doing media/promo/press releases in a couple of drum magazines as well as a drum show in May.

I will ask you this, if we do this, I would ask you not to repeat it for anyone else. I would like to keep it one of a kind. Although in my mind's eye, if it comes out as I intend, I may want to do another. Just the program, though. If someone else came to you with their own program/pattern, by all means take their money. I would just like to keep my pattern/program to myself, that's all.

Would you be willing to try 2 pieces if I send you the program/file? Which format would be best? This way we both can get a good idea on cost and time.. To be honest, I'm not totally sure it will work or how they will fit, I just have my fingers crossed....