Iron Cup

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
dallen

Re: Iron Cup

Post by dallen »

I tried one of my old blowers today due to me leaving the one I have been using out in the rain last night. So today when I wanted to use it and picked it up water went everywhere. Anyway I couldn't get the C/I hot enough to really pour, the mold shorted on me, but I had also used too small of a sprue. kinda wish that those sprue cutters Harry ordered would get here.

I hope your business picks up, I got a few more years before I have to worry about retiring if I make it that long, back is really starting to get to me the last couple of years.

Keep me up dated on your burner, did you find anything that was wrong or was it just one of those days that you had problems. I'm thinking about putting an oil burner together, one problem I had today besides the blower was it was cool and the tank started to freeze. I could of and should of moved it out into the sunshine so it would of stayed warmer.

Well I gotta go cut some parts for a knurler that I am trying to fix, cheap Chinese made piece of crap.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
HT1

Post by HT1 »

I "think" the exact placemetn of the Plithe and the Crucible are criticale because my furnace really is not big enough for a B10 crucible (8.5 inch bore) additionally, I know the exact angle the burner goes in the tuyere is very important, and it can be tricky finding that "sweet spot", I'm beginning to think the burner flame may be getting impinged by how close it is to the bottom of the furnace. the bottom of my furnace has moved uip because of all the accidents I have had. Last heat, I fired the furnace back up after I poured, and scraped the bottom of it cruelly to get it spotless, and help clear the tuyere

HT1
dallen

Post by dallen »

that should help, on the one that I melt C/I in I had a really hot flame in it the other day when i poured, but yesterday I got hot and was melting but was right at the point that this thing isn't going to do it. when I pulled the slag it was like I'm pulling all the iron out that I put in there to melt it just would not finish melting. so anyway the stuff was thick when I poured I knew it didn't fill fully even before I moved on to pour the rest into ingots.

So I may try again today, but this time since it didn't rain last night I will have my vacuum cleaner motor that I use which really puts out some air. I need to get my but in gear and start working on an oil burner, I have everything except the nozzle, I have some spray nozzle's I just don't know if they are fan or cone spray, I guess the only way to find out is to hook it up and spray something with it.

Plus not from accidents but my own stupidness, I have a lot of glass in the furnace and I know it has to be really soaking up the IR that is normally reflected back into the crucible, that melt the other day really trashed the interior of the blue pig. So I guess its time to realign the thing and put in a 3000 HS sleave about any inch thick. As hot as I've had it the floor, lid, and block that I set the crucible onto have no signs of being overheated.
Heres a shot of the inside after I melted the other day, the gray part (block of C/I) that you see down in the furnace is a part that I put in there to anneal.
I'm still kinda thinking that the propane bottle freezing may of hurt the performance of the burner also, cause I've melted Cast Iron before with that blower that I was using.

Well I made my first two part pattern, nothing fancy, a round pattern for a pedestal for the mortar that I made the other day. I get around I'll take a picture of it.
DAllen
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette