Sump exension

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
mite5255

Sump exension

Post by mite5255 »

Here's my latest, it’s a sump extension for a XS 650 motorbike, pattern was cut out of 6mm acrylic on a cnc engraver that a person that I know has, we're both trying to work together, I had 6 made each one .2mm larger so I had some draft,I then glued them all together and filled the sides with bog, filed then painted with spray putty, rubbed back, then painted with rattle can enamel. Its very satisfying going through life with no real skills to speak of and then hold a part in your hands that you've made. Must apologise for the lack of photos, they were all on my phone and it decided it was going to turn to sh!t, so now I have a smart phone and this older fart is having one or two issues trying to navigate my way through it, but I'm getting there slowly . I had a photo of the casting straight out of the sand but apparently the file is too big
The pattern
S4010084.jpg
S4010084.jpg (39.21 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
the casting all milled and cleaned up
S4010081.jpg
S4010081.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
and this little fella was at my feet while I was taking the photos
frog.jpg
frog.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Sump exension

Post by dallen »

thats a damn fine looking part you got there Mike, I see your letting your little friends out to help with the clean up process, :D
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks Dave, I have no idea what I use to do before I had the mill, man its a handy did of gear to have
Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

your right I don't know how I ever got along without mine now that I've had it for almost two years.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You guys are making me jealous with all the mill talk :mrgreen: the part looks beautiful Mike, You are on your way to being an aftermarket supplier.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Looks good, now it is time to start making more so the pattern pays for itself. :)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

@ Harry, Thanks mate, my plan is to make a few after market parts, I have made exhaust clamps for the xs 650 Yamaha using after-market triumph exhaust clamps, and those photos were on my old phone and are now lost, so I'll take a photo of the pattern, with is now in three parts after some dick head :roll: :roll: dropped it and try and explain what I did. with regards to the the jealousy about the mill talk, just take the plunge you sure won't regret it
@ Nudge . Thanks Nudge.The pattern cost me more time then money, part should be on its way to Sydney on Wednesday, and my brother should have it Thursday. sooooo hopefully I'll get a few orders through his bike club

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

get and extra flask or make one and every time you pour, pour one of those extensions, then if you get a call for one all you have to do is a little finish work, if not throw it back in the pot later when you need the metal.
you get much work out the the little green guy, or he just hang around and watch over stuff make sure you do it right???

David

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Question for you mill guys, how do you mill a curve like the rounded corners and the little pop outs on that piece? Little X little Y and just fanagle it around or do you use a template as a guide like a router bit with a bearing on it?

Also while I am asking, how do you get the sharp interior corners? Is that just a small bit or is there some trick involved?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

normally you use the cutter with the diameter that will give you the corner radius that you want on inside corners, of course theres a couple of tricks that if I told ya I'd have to kill ya,

on aluminum you can drill em pretty close to the radius you want then mill up to it with a bigger bit when your hogging it out, but on a casting if you got a good patten, you shouldn't have to mill any of the inside just drill the holes and fly cut the faces. it like on the parts you make for your cnc all in the pattern.

With a really good patten if he puts in the drill spots he won't even have to do any work to drill the holes. So its all in the pattern and the surface finish, the outside corners are no problem to cast we do it everyday, on one thing or another.