My first bronze casting

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
F.C.

Re: My first bronze casting

Post by F.C. »

Go for discarded red bronze (or leaded bronze) plumbing fittings, they're waaaay cheaper and more attainable in virtually every city. Use Borax as a flux (at least two cups per 80 lb melt). Don't take the melt to vibration (boiling), rather, only to when you begin to see actual bubbling at the edges of the melt/flux perimeter inside the crucible. Hold that action till you first notice the melt begin to quiver then shut down the heat, wait 30 seconds, skim (There will be a "lot" of dross to skim off ), then insert a piece of aluminum on top of the melt (about the size of two of your fingers per 80 lbs of melt), stir that in, then pour. The melt will pour beautifully and will increase its ability to reach thin distant areas within the mold. Your furnace is outside so the off gasing of the small amount of lead being burnt off won't be so hazardous. If you have a respirator use carbon cartridges, liken to what they use for paint fumes. Once the metal has melted and been cast the lead content is no more. The aluminum you put in will not effect the beauty of the bronze once you clean and polish it up. In fact, it will reduce the bronze's potential to naturally patina and will aide in keeping it's polished appearance for decades.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

A small dollup of aluminum applied to Posphorus bronze (after you skim, and have used Borax as the flux) will aide in keeping the alloys from flaring as you bring the melt back up to temp prior to pouring. The aluminum will create its own skin atop the remaining thin layer of flux after you skim off the dross. The aluminum skin will be near microscopic and you'll see it tear when the metal pours through it but it will not have an effect on the face detail of the cast other than a slight silvery appearance that will brush off with a wire brush.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Go for discarded red bronze (or leaded bronze) plumbing fittings, they're waaaay cheaper and more attainable in virtually every city. Use Borax as a flux (at least two cups per 80 lb melt). Don't take the melt to vibration (boiling), rather, only to when you begin to see actual bubbling at the edges of the melt/flux perimeter inside the crucible. Hold that action till you first notice the melt begin to quiver then shut down the heat, wait 30 seconds, skim (There will be a "lot" of dross to skim off ), then insert a piece of aluminum on top of the melt (about the size of two of your fingers per 80 lbs of melt), stir that in, then pour. The melt will pour beautifully and will increase its ability to reach thin distant areas within the mold. Your furnace is outside so the off gasing of the small amount of lead being burnt off won't be so hazardous. If you have a respirator use carbon cartridges, liken to what they use for paint fumes. Once the metal has melted and been cast the lead content is no more. The aluminum you put in will not effect the beauty of the bronze once you clean and polish it up. In fact, it will reduce the bronze's potential to naturally patina and will aide in keeping it's polished appearance for decades.
F.C. wrote:A small dollup of aluminum applied to Posphorus bronze (after you skim, and have used Borax as the flux) will aide in keeping the alloys from flaring as you bring the melt back up to temp prior to pouring. The aluminum will create its own skin atop the remaining thin layer of flux after you skim off the dross. The aluminum skin will be near microscopic and you'll see it tear when the metal pours through it but it will not have an effect on the face detail of the cast other than a slight silvery appearance that will brush off with a wire brush.
Thanks Frank I'll definitely try all of that , I'll visit my local scrap merchant and see what comes up, I also know a plumber and I'll let him know to keep all scrap copper and brass fittings
Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Yeah, I love red brass. More dross, but the colors it takes from patina chemicals are stunning.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:Yeah, I love red brass. More dross, but the colors it takes from patina chemicals are stunning.

Richard
We'll have to get you to write up a tutorial on applying patina Richard :D , thats the next thing for me after I get this plaque cast
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I am an amateur when it comes to patinas. I use a few very basic chemicals. The best tutorial I have seen is Ron Young's book: "Contemporary Patination".

For my taste, most modern sculpture is way over done with patinas. All of that crusty green stuff makes them look like they have spent a few months in a sewage plant.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:I am an amateur when it comes to patinas. I use a few very basic chemicals. The best tutorial I have seen is Ron Young's book: "Contemporary Patination".

For my taste, most modern sculpture is way over done with patinas. All of that crusty green stuff makes them look like they have spent a few months in a sewage plant.
OHHHH NOOOOOOOOO another book to buy :lol: All I'll be after is very basic patinas, I will buy the book tho

Thanks
Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Ummmm I think I'll give the book a miss, I just looked on amazon and the cheapest was $200.00, the most expensive was $500.00 :shock: :shock:
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Hey guys- join Orchid- these guys are a FREE online resource for metal artists (mostly Jewelers) but their archives have a TON of info searchable by keyword. There are alot of cross-platform ideas and hints/tips/tricks... the forum is free to browse/troll as well- if youre interested- the website is www.ganoksin.com

As well- if you havent looked at FINISHING.com it is a great reference for data, topics, and formulae for a variety of metal applications- a quick keyword search for BRONZE PATINA brought up several hits... good source for anodizing, powder coating and sealing info as well.

Hope this helps
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Silverforge wrote:Hey guys- join Orchid- these guys are a FREE online resource for metal artists (mostly Jewelers) but their archives have a TON of info searchable by keyword. There are alot of cross-platform ideas and hints/tips/tricks... the forum is free to browse/troll as well- if youre interested- the website is http://www.ganoksin.com

As well- if you havent looked at FINISHING.com it is a great reference for data, topics, and formulae for a variety of metal applications- a quick keyword search for BRONZE PATINA brought up several hits... good source for anodizing, powder coating and sealing info as well.

Hope this helps
Thanks for that silverforge, I'll check it out tonight when I get home from work

Mike