Cincinnati Shaper

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
dallen

Cincinnati Shaper

Post by dallen »

I have had this shaper for a spell but never really gave it much attention untill a friend in Tulsa gave me an old Rototiller that the chain drive was stripped out on but the engine he said ran good.

So after hauling the thing home and stripping the engine off of it and the electric motor off of the shaper I made a mount and proceded to get the shaper so it would move under power. heres a link to a video of it.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Super ... 0.mp4.html

the poor old gal also had been ran hard and put up wet several times and has some missing/broken parts, one of which was the ratchet feed for the table, so I got in the mood and made a pattern that pretty well satisfied the shop monster

shop monster

anyway I got up Saturday and rammed the pattern up to see if I had enough draft so it would pull, which it did without to many tears around the edge (nothing a file wouldn't take care of ) and casted it. heres a couple shots of it in various stages

started work on a new pattern today cause I didn't like the size or shape of this one, here's the new pattern
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Re: Cincinnati Shaper

Post by Rasper »

I do love those big old machines. I have had a lot of them over the years. One was a Fay and Egan 48 inch shipsaw. Used a 27 foot blade. Another favorite was a Fay and Egan 26 inch planer. I had a 1953 Plymouth engine running it. It would take a quarter inch off a piece of two foot wide white oak in one pass.

The thing about these old cast iron machines is that once you get them in tune and the Babbitt bearings re-poured, they will last almost forever with no further problems.

Keep posting. I have missed you.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks great Dallen, I'm not allowed to get anything heavy anymore. If I can't carry it, I can't bring it home... does carrying it with a forklift count??? ;)

My son is finally down at Fort Sills, he says he keeps getting lost on the base. He'll be there until November. If I decide to make a trip down, I'll give you a shout. As of now, it looks very doubtful. But he does have my new granddaughter there. :)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer let me know if you make it to Sill I can run down for a cup of coffee. Forklifts work for me, she didn't say how you had to carry it did she.

I don't know why he's getting lost as long as he stays out of the firing ranges the place isn't really that big, its them unexploded 8 inch rounds he needs to look out for.

Rasper, this ole gal doesn't have babbit bearings, it was steel on cast iron, and all the bores need to be line bored and the shafts redone DO TO OTHER'S not knowing what an oil can is, plus all the wicks are missing.

will try for some video this afternoon when i cut the top off of a 15 inch long hunk of railroad iron.

heres the new pattern that I am working on for the ratchet. tried ramming it up but the sand hung up on the bore and tore off the mold so I have some bondo drying in it so I can cut more draft then will try again, also trimmed the round part which didn't have any draft it pulled pretty clean but had some tearing which on a one off pattern I could of lived with but I had to fix one thing might as well fix the other.

dallen

Post by dallen »

here's a link to the shaper cutting the top off of 15 inches of railroad rail, cardboard box you see me holding is to catch the chips as they cut loose. depth of cut is around a .060

already wasted one plastic trash can catching chips in it.

DA

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Great stuff.

R
dallen

Post by dallen »

you don't want to catch one of them chips down the old shirt collar that's for sure

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Looks great Dave :D, just love your shop monster :D

@ jammer, things just turn up at my place lol lol

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've got about a dozen of those little oil cups with the flip tops, if you need any. Some of them had felt wicks in them.

Mike, I've tried that, I always get busted. :(
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

jammer you could always sit it by the mail box for a couple days before it makes the move to the shop.

I could use some, but what I really need is a drawing for a drip oiler.

anyway got the new pattern out of the sand and the mold sitting in the sun waiting to be filled gonna do it in aluminum first so see if I have any pouring problems like sand washing out.