Cincinnati Shaper

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
dallen

Re: Cincinnati Shaper

Post by dallen »

OK another day another screwed up part, the support turned out to be way to tall. so now I'm gonna make a new pattern and do it right this time anyway on the pattern, probably still screw up the part.

but today I did get this done, started the pattern last night not a lot to it, three pieces of wood some mill work and a little wood putty and sandpaper before paint. then off to the molding bench.

Right pictures, thought you guys would never ask.
the pattern

the front side

the back side

its got a shrink in it, but it also gets a biggo 1 inch plus hole in it right where that shrink is at, along with some threads so I can screw it onto the shaper.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

well I screwed the pooch as they say in Alabama on the nut and had to recast another one which I drilled and threaded last night, still have to counterbore the backside and face it off.

Here's pictures of it, I had a bad sand tear on the hex side but think I have it figured out whats going on (believe its being caused by the mold pulling off to one side when I open it) and I didn't have the discoloration on this one that I did on the first which I think was caused by the sand having a bit to much oil in it, and me pouring it too hot.

BAckside

Front or outside

Threaded hole

and of course the porosity in the aluminum, I added some new unmelting car wheel to this pot and probably didn't use enough degasser

DA

dallen

Post by dallen »

todays work

knob for the table feed adjustment

on the shaper

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Looking good Dave :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

thanks but its back to he pattern shop now to fix the one I goofed up and made one end way to big, and need to add some draft in other places

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks great David, looks like your replacing every handle on the machine. You could probably sell some of those castings to others with broken lathes and shapers. Thread them to order or sell the blanks and let them thread their own.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

not replacing every handle just the ones that are missing, broken, or damaged.

and you are probably right that I could sell some of them but then you get those guys that don't want to pay what your time is worth ( an example is building furnace burners tried that one) or what the part is worth. they think because you made it from scrap you should get a scrap price. not to mention all the time in making the patterns or making sure that the parts fit or having to cast it three times to get a decent cast.

Ok I'll get off my soap box, how's the grandbaby doing, and hows your ticker you still doing OK?, you get your shop done yet?.

Rained last night so its cool today, I may do some casting see if I can figure out my sand tearing problems.

Also if i can get some buckets to clean the muller out with, I'm thinking of trying some greensand made from local river sand from the river bank to see what it will handle and type of finish I can get. most of the sand here in Oklahoma has a high silica content to it, and a lot of iron oxide reason for the red dirt roads.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've got a big mud hole in my yard. Maybe there will be some concrete in it next week, if it quits raining. We get hard rains once or twice a week. The town is still cleaning up from a flash flood last month. I'm on the mountain so I send all my water down to them. I have bad days with my ticker and worse days, plus a few OK days. I'm happy if I'm at 50%, and stay out of the hospital.
I know you can't get what the part is worth, or cover the time you have in it. I just thought you could get some extra hobby money out of the work you've done.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

sorry to hear bout the ticker, take care of yourself.

far as the parts go if someone was to contact me and wanted a part yes I would cast it up what it was casted out of would determine the cost of the part. I don't plan on getting rid of the patterns they will go on the wall.

and far as I can tell from the amount of info and pictures I been able to find on the internet there's not very many of these old shapers laying around. that are a couple of parts that I would like to get that are original or at least look at an original.

here's a pour that I did yesterday to check out somethings

yea this rain thing is starting to suck big time, I got over an inch last night.

Well back to the lathe trying to make a boring bar for the shaper so I can make a slot inside something.

DA

dallen

Post by dallen »

todays progress on the shaper was in the tool making department. needed a boring bar and you can't buy em so I made one.

DA