Cincinnati Shaper

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
dallen

Re: Cincinnati Shaper

Post by dallen »

I wouldn't say highly skilled just and old fart with lots of time on his hands, hell if I was skilled I'd still have a job.

it looks better on the shaper out in the sunshine where you can see the big shrink in the boss on it.

David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

mike here's the picture of the shop monster that I like

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

He has that, your pissing me off look :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

it sure enough is that I just crapped in your shoes look.

no casting today have to see if I can make a pattern for the handle in this photo the straight one

I have a sort of nut I made on there now, but would be nice to have something that looks close to the original one, anyway its going to be a fun one to make. Now where did I hide that spoke shave at.

DA

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

dallen wrote:I wouldn't say highly skilled just and old fart with lots of time on his hands, hell if I was skilled I'd still have a job.
No David, if you were Young, you would still have a job. You have all the skills. They hold youth over experience and I think it will come back to bite them down the road.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

todays casting I redid the handle I made yesterday to make sure that the pattern would pull clean from the sand, rammed it a lot harder today then yesterday, as you can tell from the surface finish it was poured a little on the cold side

dallen

Post by dallen »

started on a new pattern today this one goes up on top of the ram to lock it in place after you set the stroke.

and I was told a long time ago my wood caving skills suck so go ahead and laugh all you want as long as it works I won't be ashamed

DA

dallen

Post by dallen »

did a little more work on the handle that I am making, ran out of green paint so this one is Caterpillar Yellow

dallen

Post by dallen »

what I been messing with today.

some of my molding stuff, and no I don't have a nice sturdy bench to pound molds on, I use the top of my muller from which I can dip sand and spill the required amount for the casting gods on the ground.
the green tub (actually a classifier screen) contains an assortment of pallet tools from the art store, some canoli tubes I use for sprue cutters, a couple regular slicks from Freemans supply, big heavy hacksaw blade I use to strike off flask with. and a cookie can.

whats in the cookie can
my parting dust bags one with regular foundry parting dust the other with graphite, another canoli tube and some screws, plus a pattern for and end plate for my mini mill table.

now back to the handle I started the other day. need to do some work on the dowel pins they hung up with I went to open the mold, reason for the tear at the boss end.

gating worked good no shrinks any place on the handle, part was poured a little cold, handle has that frosted look feels like 300 grit sand paper nothing that won't knock down. but if I was making them to sell it would go back in the pot.

and the pattern in the mold

found a enough energy to drill and thread the handle so heres the shot of it on the shaper, don't look to bad if I don't look too hard at it.

now for the other two or three missing broken parts that I can waste time on while the grass dries.

DA

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I think your handles look great. Did you have any trouble tapping the threads. I seem to have trouble tapping Aluminum.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)