Cincinnati Shaper

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
dallen

Re: Cincinnati Shaper

Post by dallen »

use tap magic for aluminum, the thread in that was 7/8 X 9 TPI tap went right thru. there are a lot of magic tap lotions on the market you just have to find one that works with you, somethings just plain ole crisco works pretty damn good, I have a small pan that I keep around for hardening parts in, it doesn't leave the house smelling like burnt axle grease.

That pour was from some ingots that I had from a couple car wheels that I cut up plus some old extruded window frame, but I hit it with a shot of flux from Harry and some Degasser that I mixed together with some SS and break it up into small pieces, I find its easier to work with that way.

Harry still around?
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

I started on a new pattern yesterday, got it this far today. about ready to split it apart and start the part I hate sanding, nothing worse then a bunch of wood that needs sanding.

anyway heres the photo and you got it I marked all over the piece of maple that I used.

dallen

Post by dallen »

not for the part that I hate, filling in and sanding down the wood filler. looks like this ones going to turn out pretty decent, may get to pour it friday anyway hoping to if the weather holds.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

You keep going to more and more complex pieces. Looks great.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

the next two after this one are pretty simple, here's a shot of this one with the required more added bondo, gotta put some more on it to fill in the holes in the this layer.

Jammer the only way I'm gonna learn how to make patterns is to make something besides a board with a hole in it. I have a cylinder for a steam engine on the table that I started here a while back that I need to get back to, its about ready to be poured but I'm wanting to get this stuff for the shaper done. granted the Old Gal probably isn't worth all the effort, but least ways it keeps me out of trouble.

the clamp handle worked great lots of leverage and now I don't have to hunt for the cressent wrench.

Here's the photo.

Oh yea one other thing on taps and tapping, is to buy good quality taps that crap at HF is just that CRAP. in aluminum use a good sharp sprial point tap to start with. If your doing blind holes you need three taps a sprial point to start with, a plug to get almost all the way to the bottom, and a bottom hole tap to finish with. and always remember to take your time and back out and clean the chips often.

had an appointment with the heart doc this afternoon but was able to get a little more done on the pattern after I got back home. I have it at the point that I am going to try to pour it tomorrow morning.

DA

dallen

Post by dallen »

update for today, rammed up the pattern an had some troubles with the pulling clean so didn't get to cast the part plus besides the molding problems it was like a hundred degrees today and all my casting equipment is outside.

But I did get some work in on a bit holder that I started yesterday, actually finished it and tooled the shaper up with it and cut some cast iron, I need to cut the back of the bar down so the bit will sit back closer to the centerline of the clapper but its working ok for now.

DA

dallen

Post by dallen »

todays work on the shaper

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Looking good Dave, how did you get on at the heart doc's, hope everything's ok

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I also HATE sanding :evil: :evil:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

did ok at the doc's office, yea sanding sucks big time, I should of use a much larger riser then I did which would of stopped the shrink/under fill. that shrunk on spot was the highest spot in the mold.

DA