Alloy rocker cover

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
mite5255

Re: Alloy rocker cover

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
mite5255 wrote:
dallen wrote:Mite have you made any progress on this

DA
Short answer Dave no, its been very hot here, so all casting is on hold till the weather cool and the humidity drops.....I've made the flasks and they are going to be very heavy full of packed sand, so I'll also need to find a way to handle them
I remember the year we had 100 plus temps for like almost three months,

me I would be wanting the weather to cool and the humidity to go up as in rain so the fire danger will drop like a rock in a barrel of water.

rig you up some sort of lift, I made me a swing arm with a boat wench on it so as to handle large flasks and curcibles if need be like the flat belt pulley that I made last fall. that whole mold weighted well over 300 pounds.

DA
Can you post a photo of your lift Dave

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

sure, I can take one tomorrow and post it for you, its just an arm made from pipe mounted on a telephone pole

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

forgot to take the picture I said I was going to take and with it cold as a witchs ass I'm not going to do it today suppose to warm up tomorrow will hopefully get one then.

DA

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

[quote="dallen"]forgot to take the picture I said I was going to take and with it cold as a witchs ass I'm not going to do it today suppose to warm up tomorrow will hopefully get one then.

DA[/quot When your ready Dave
dallen

Post by dallen »

heres what I did
foundry-swing-arm.jpg

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:heres what I did
foundry-swing-arm.jpg
Thanks Dave, I thought it was something like that.... I think I may have to put the larger items on the back burner for awhile, at the moment I'm off work for a few days with ligament damage around three ribs, I think I'm falling apart :shock:

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I was thinking of welding two pieces of 3 inch channel back to back or get a small I beam and run it through the center of my shop with a girder trolly on it, but I can only go east west
dallen

Post by dallen »

mite5255 wrote:
dallen wrote:heres what I did
foundry-swing-arm.jpg
Thanks Dave, I thought it was something like that.... I think I may have to put the larger items on the back burner for awhile, at the moment I'm off work for a few days with ligament damage around three ribs, I think I'm falling apart :shock:

Mike
stop sipping suds with the lads at the pub and playing rugby on the weekends, you'll live to be a hundred. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dallen

Post by dallen »

mite5255 wrote:I was thinking of welding two pieces of 3 inch channel back to back or get a small I beam and run it through the center of my shop with a girder trolly on it, but I can only go east west
that would work to give you access across your shop, but then you have to do all the heavy work under it, me I'm limited to a 6 foot radius for the heavy stuff but I can stick an extension in the end of the arm.

so any heavy flask will get rammed up on the pouring bench with the muller only a step away, not like it was last summer when I did the big flat belt pulley and I had to carry the sand out in the yard to the pouring bench where I rammed up the pattern.

But it SURE is nice to have everything under the roof with the ability to set the furnace out from under it, this damn weather ever warms up I hope to get back to casting.

Plus I have most of the stuff ordered or bought for the router so no reason to not move on with that project.

Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I made a crane from 3/8 inch re-bar:

Everything has to be in a straight line (furnace and burnout kiln) but I can pour my #30 crucible full of bronze single handed. (I do not use that old steel pot for the bronze, by the way.)

Richard