Coaster Project

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
mite5255

Coaster Project

Post by mite5255 »

Tried Jammers Pattern in aluminum today just to see how it molds up and pours. I used a bit too much mold wash :? the wash has changed the lettering, so tomorrow when I try bronze,only one spray of wash
Mike
IMG_1159.JPG
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Coaster Project

Post by dallen »

looks good Mike

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks Dave

Today I did a bronze casting using Jerry's pattern and the casting has what I call shadowing,( were the pattern moves when your ramming it up) but it is a better casting then before. I've glued the pattern to a board, then I'll screw it to the drag once the glue has set and that should takeaway any movement
All of that will have to wait till next week as I start back at work tomorrow Thursday and will finish Monday morning

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks good Mike. Is the shadow caused by the pattern moving or the sand being pushed out from the center? If the pattern moved, wouldn't the shadow be on the same side of all the letters?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:Looks good Mike. Is the shadow caused by the pattern moving or the sand being pushed out from the center? If the pattern moved, wouldn't the shadow be on the same side of all the letters?
Not to sure what you mean by the sand being pushed out from the center Jerry. I was putting it all down to my ramming, but I sure could be wrong.

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

jammer what software did you use to generate the code for the coaster? the one you posted the link for.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Mike, I was just noticing that the shadows were above the letters on the top row and below the letters on the bottom row. The center isn't showing much of a shadow in the picture. I just thought if you rammed in the center it may cause the voids on the outside edges. If that makes any sense.

I drew the pattern in paint with the lettering and all. I found the typeface they were using online and posted it to my computer, so I could use it on paint. I don't know how I did it, I just lucked out. On the Paint program on my newer laptop, I can do a lot more that I can't do on my old computer. Then, I can save the picture as a bitmap that F-Engrave will load. There I set the size and machine speed and generated the g-code in the v-carve settings with another code for clean up, that clears all the background area inside the heart. I set it to clear the background in the X direction and perimeter around the letters where the 1/16" it would fit. Where it didn't fit I cut out by hand but, that wasn't really very much.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Mike you need to practice this so you can create your own drop shadows…. :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Tried another casting, definitely getting better, will be doing another one next week.I used this one to to try polishing the raised areas, I placed wet and dry sand paper on a piece of 12mm aluminum plate. I first used the linisher I won't next time, I then started with 600 grit wet and dry and then with 800 grit, then to the polishing wheel, first with a stitched wheel and finish with a fine buffing wheel

Mike
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

That's gorgeous.

R