@ Richard..Polishing bronze

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
mite5255

@ Richard..Polishing bronze

Post by mite5255 »

Question to Richard, or anyone else that might have an answer....When buffing bronze, I've heard somewhere that if you dissolve bees wax in turpentine you then paint the mixture on, let it dry then buff, if this is so how much wax to turps do you use

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mantrid

Re: @ Richard..Polishing bronze

Post by mantrid »

Its not critical but there there can be problems if its too thick particularly if applying to cold bronze in that it can leave streaks. Too thin and it doesnt give a decent thickness (unless you apply multiple coats.
My personal preference is to mix until the thickness of a engine oil or similar and then apply with a brush while the bronze is hot (hot enough that you can't touch but not 'straight out of the flame' hot) as it goes on easier and gives a smoother finish. I allow at least overnight before buffing, as the harder the wax the easier it is to polish. If its still soft it just makes a mess and comes off onto the brush. I use the black nylon brush for the dremel type tool. A shoe brushe also works well but is slower
mite5255

Re: @ Richard..Polishing bronze

Post by mite5255 »

mantrid wrote:Its not critical but there there can be problems if its too thick particularly if applying to cold bronze in that it can leave streaks. Too thin and it doesnt give a decent thickness (unless you apply multiple coats.
My personal preference is to mix until the thickness of a engine oil or similar and then apply with a brush while the bronze is hot (hot enough that you can't touch but not 'straight out of the flame' hot) as it goes on easier and gives a smoother finish. I allow at least overnight before buffing, as the harder the wax the easier it is to polish. If its still soft it just makes a mess and comes off onto the brush. I use the black nylon brush for the dremel type tool. A shoe brushe also works well but is slower
Thanks mantrid :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)