Tin or Antimony

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
dallen

Tin or Antimony

Post by dallen »

Anyone know of a source where a guy could get some Tin or Antimony to alloy with lead for casting bullets.

Printers type would work also, I just need to harden the lead that I have up some so it won't galled in the barrel, plus I'm having thoughts of building a 1780's period long rifle so will need fodder to feed it with.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Re: Tin or Antimony

Post by Jammer »

I've got a few hundred pounds of type metal, I'll pack some up in the box I'm putting together for you. How much do you need? Don't use this as is, it's way too hard for bullets. I've seen formulas online for mixing Lead, Type Metal and some extra tin solder (Pewter) for muzzleloaders. I had a 357 once and got some bad soft bullets. Fired about 3 times and then couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I looked and had no rifling visible. I took it to a gun-shop and he sold me some copper jacketed and told me to use these. One shot and I had rifling again. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_metal
This will be closest to slugcasting alloy, 3-4% Tin, 10-11% Antimony, and the rest Lead.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

had a friend give me about 10 pounds of lead pipe, that I'm wanting to use to make bullets for the Winchester. I don't know the alloy that's used for type, but I know the tin helps with the casting and the Antimony makes the lead hard.

I'll leave the how much up to you, how much would you use in 10 pounds of lead?

There's probably as many alloys for bullets as there are people making them. I know I don't want something that will lead the barrel which can happen even if you use gas checks.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

What little I've read about it, you should have more Tin than Antimony and neither one over 5%. There are many formulas, if you have some way to test hardness, that's the way to go.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Have you tried Ebay for some tin Dave http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Pound-TIN- ... 2ed680647f
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

mite5255 wrote:Have you tried Ebay for some tin Dave http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Pound-TIN- ... 2ed680647f
I did some looking on Ebay, but wasn't really impressed with the prices as in the link you provided wanting 19.00 for a pound plus shipping.

If Jerry has some old type that he would like to get rid of a couple pounds I would rather pay him for the metal then someone on Ebay.

David