Commission work

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
mite5255

Commission work

Post by mite5255 »

We have a local trophie shop here that also does laser engraving and such, and they have done a few patterns over the last 12 months for me , the problem is they take forever to do my work but they only charge about $10 a pattern. He has heaps of acrylic off cuts and that's what he use's for my patterns, so all he charges me for is set up time. I dropped in today to see if he had a few patterns done that I had ordered, and as per usual they were not ready, but he asked if I can do a bronze casting about 8x12 inch, I said I can and asked what does he require, he said he needs a plaque with LEST WE FORGET on it, I asked when do you want it and who wants it, he shrugged his shoulders and said guess ( April 25 is ANZAC Day http://www.army.gov.au/our-history/traditions/anzac-day http://alldownunder.com/australian-auth ... get.htm)he told me a School has asked for it to be made, oh I said so its not some returned servicemen organization ( a returned service organization would have gotten it made for a very cheap price). He ask how much to cast it, now I'm no business man and I have no idea on how to price my casting, I also don't chase the almighty dollar, for the most part I pluck a figure out of my ass and whatch they're face for a reaction, he said would $100.00 cover it, I said it would more the cover it, so I have my first commission work, Its nothing fancy, but its a start. Sure wish I had some of Frank and Richards skills :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Commission work

Post by dallen »

Mike great on the commission job.

you just have to figure out what it cost you to operate your foundry and make a profit off of what your going, even oil sumps for bikes cost a certain amount, then put a price on it that makes you a dollar to buy more for the foundry.

As far as talent goes, you may have latent talents hiding in you that you don't know that you have until you try your hand at modeling clay, I used to look at a gun stock and say no way can I whittle one of those out of a plank, the last one turned out pretty damn good if I do say so.

You could always trick Richard into stopping by and giving you a hint or two along with some hands on training. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

In 2006 I was charging $2.30/sq. in. for plaques. If there was need to do relief art carvings in addition to the narrative I charged 6.50/sq. in. Now, realize it's been since 2006 since I did any commission work in cast metal. Here in the lower 48 states (Washington) I recently witnessed a news broadcast of a church that was vandalized and two of their 12"x18" bronze plaques were stolen (undoubtedly for recycling to get drug/cigarette money). The church said those two plaques were valued at 15K each. Both had only a simple flat relief symbol on it, no other narration. Do the math... those plaques, if the 15K price to replace them is correct, the foundry would have charged well in excess of $100/sq. inch.

I don't know what the going rate is, yet, here in this area for cast bronze plaques. I'll clue y'all in when I find out. But it's my opinion if such high cost per sq. in. for foundry work is truly the norm, then that's a major reason why so many artists are starving these days. Bronze is going for roughly 3.40/lb, propane gas about 3.00/gallon. Figure your employer's wage you earn per hour on your daily job, added to the material and gas cost, then guestimate a fair assessment of your time it would take to make and finish the plaque. Chances are it'll come to more than the 100 you were offered for it. Your time alone would amount to the 100 bucks.

What I would do (and will do once I'm up and running again) is set my rate at 5.00/sq. inch for plaque work. Large commercial signage (or emblems, etc) would go much higher... i.e., the 42" dia bronze national guard seal I created back in 1989 if I did that same work today, I'd charge 25K for that. I did one for the Alaska Railroad at 48" diameter with a simple low relief corporate logo in the center and surrounding narration of equal relief around the seal's perimeter (in 2004) and charged the railroad 8,000 for that. Reality is, had they commissioned that out of state it would have cost them double that amount back then. Internment markers 12" x 40" I routinely charged 1,200. The mortuaries were gouging the public with 2,800 each for markers with less individuality. In a sense, I charged nearly half what it cost for like products and in my opinion I was happy with the profit. I wasn't slave to it, and the pace was nice and steady work. Occasionally, when a federal or state funded percent for art project come about I'd leap at the opportunity as those prices were fixed and in tune with all like art values across the US. Having given the public such decent pricing like I did all those years, I had developed a good reputation and thereby would get greater consideration when those federal & state art projects come about.

My advice to you is be good and fair to yourself first and foremost. Do some research in your area to determine actual costs for like products you make. Then determine a happy medium between the commercial costs and your product produced with some leeway granted for your perceived lack of professional quality... afterall, you're still on the learning curve and in time your quality will improve dramatically. Then you can charge what you want and your customer base won't bitch as you've been good to them over the years prior.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Sure wish I had some of Frank and Richards skills
So do I. I am afraid I am highly over rated. I am a better writer than I am a sculptor or a foundryman. The trouble is I can't stand sitting at a desk.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:Mike great on the commission job.

you just have to figure out what it cost you to operate your foundry and make a profit off of what your going, even oil sumps for bikes cost a certain amount, then put a price on it that makes you a dollar to buy more for the foundry.

As far as talent goes, you may have latent talents hiding in you that you don't know that you have until you try your hand at modeling clay, I used to look at a gun stock and say no way can I whittle one of those out of a plank, the last one turned out pretty damn good if I do say so.

You could always trick Richard into stopping by and giving you a hint or two along with some hands on training. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DA
Thanks Dave, I wonder if I offered Richard and Frank a few free beers and BBQ, do ya think that would be enought to entice them down this way to my humble abode and humble workshop :lol:

Thanks Frank, I knew you would come in and advise me on pricing ;) I thank you :)

Richard, the work you and Frank do is excellent and a credit to you both, I bow to the masters :D
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Congrats Mike… got nothing in the advice category...
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks latzanimal