Brass/Bronze Hammer casting

All About Showing Off, This is why we do what we do.
Jammer

Brass/Bronze Hammer casting

Post by Jammer »

Started on a pattern for a Brass hammer. I've got it cut from some dense foam and made a core for it. Got ready to fire up the furnace and twisted my knee, now it won't quit hurting. Been babying it for a couple days trying to get it to settle down. Anyway, this is what I have so far. Hopefully I can pour it this weekend.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Re: Brass/Bronze Hammer casting

Post by mite5255 »

You have my sympathies Jerry, I do that to my hips often and it can really slow me down, love the hammer :D
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jerry
take care of the pegs man the casting can wait.

Nice pattern by the way.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I was playing with the wizards on the Mach 3 program. The Write program is pretty simple and quick, I just typed my initials and set size and font and it cut it, pretty slick. I'm trying different depth cuts to see how they come out. I imagine the deep one will come out the best.
I just hope I have enough draft to pull it from the sand.
dallen

Post by dallen »

I got to reading yesterday in the quick install booklet for bobcad and found out that I needed to call them and have them unactivate it then I could reactivate it on a different computer, so after talking to a pretty sounding voice then to some guy I have bobcad back up and working so I can create gcode so maybe I will do something with the router that's been sitting for like a long time taking up space like some of the people I know around here.

you could take a hot rod and widen the font to give it some draft.

I have a lead hammer mold that you clamp the handle in then melt the lead in a melting cup on the mold and tip it up and instant lead hammer.

DA

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Forgot I started this thread, I put pictures on the studio page. Guess they can be on both.

I'll try to explain my end pouring flask. I made this last year and have used it a couple times. I thought it could give me a good way to pour small items or for filling from the bottom like a horn gate. I used it today on the brass hammer pour. I need to figure out how to cut the gating better but it wasn't too bad. Looks like a regular flask to start with and then I screw on the side pieces of plywood and remove the end pieces.

Flask is ready and metal is hot. Maybe a little too hot, I pulled the crucible out of the furnace and let it set for about 5 minutes so the zinc would stop burning. I put the crucible in the little pitcher type pouring thing I made. I can just pick it up and pour like coffee. The bail on top acts like a skimmer to hold back the dross. Almost didn't have enough metal, I'm usually way over. The big sprue took a lot of metal. Now all I have to do is clean it up and mount the handle on it. The core looks like it worked great, I may have to shape the hole a little for a taper to hold the handle tight.

Just good to get out and melt something. 8-) 8-)

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

That looks great Jerry :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Cleaned up the hammer head. A lot of sand stuck to it and a small amount of shrinkage or might have been a little sand pit. I ground it out and it's not noticeable. I don't think it looks too bad for a hammer that will end up all beaten to bits. The core was a little small and I had to file out the opening a little.
dallen

Post by dallen »

nice looking beater you made yourself Jammer

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Ended up just under 4 pounds, I thought it was only going to be 3#.