belt buckle

Creations to please the eye, where form trumps over function.
mite5255

Re: belt buckle

Post by mite5255 »

Hey nudge what does the mcc stand for, surly its not the Melbourne Cricket Club :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Not quite :lol:
It is Milford Cruising Club (A boating club)
http://www.milfordcruising.co.nz/
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (72.85 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
With the buckle that I made from the one old salt sent me I milled out the centre and cleaned it up with a dremal, I then got my friendly CNC engraver to cut me a disk out of acrylic with 13 on it, I then glued the disc to the buckle,its was then painted with hi build auto putty spray paint then painted with gloss black, I hope to get some made tomorrow

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:Not quite :lol:
It is Milford Cruising Club (A boating club)
http://www.milfordcruising.co.nz/
My guess is no Kiwi would wear a Melbourne Cricket Club belt buckle anyway :lol:

Mike
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Cool #13 is my lucky number :)

I was born on friday 13 and so was my son. My grandfather was also born on a day of the 13th. The funner thing is we are also all left handed. :shock:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

ummmmm the 13 on the buckle actually represents something entirely different he he he

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

Nudge wrote:I have been making the same type of buckle only with a different face, I have had no problems with short pours.

I start off with the pattern face up on the bench, ram up. Then flip it over, cope it down and ram up the back.
The sprue for these is 10mm (3/8") with a 6mm x 10mm (1/4"x 3/8") gate going into one side on the back.
The only vent I use is in the belt hook part.

As you can see I have made quite a few (I think I have made 30 now)

Are you sure that the bronze IS up to temp?
Try the the steel rod trick to test the temp. pre heat a steel rod (not so hot that it is red) then dip it into the melt. If it comes out clean or what is on it can be knocked off with a light tap, is is Good to go :)

(The Pics are bad because they are off my phone)
Guess I'll have to try pouring hotter then what I have been doing, if and when the outside temp gets up above 35 degrees, oil bonded sand is a little stiff when the temp drops below freezing. It's 27 this morning which isn't tooo bad for the first half of November. Nice looking buckle
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

mite5255 wrote:ummmmm the 13 on the buckle actually represents something entirely different he he he

Mike
My first thought was 13" and thought man you ought to be in pictures then I remembered you folks are on the metric system and 13 cm isnt something I would hang a sign over :lol:

Nice re-purposing of the pattern though.

David, I notice my sand seems to get "drier" when it is cold. It still rams up tight though, if you mull it when it is cold it will really come to life. Now the coldest we ever get here is in the low teens and that is rare so I dont know about longer periods in colder weather. I also have a torpedo heater set up under my molding bench that I will run in the winter. This does two jobs, both adding a little warmth to my sand and keeps my toes toasty.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:
mite5255 wrote: My first thought was 13" and thought man you ought to be in pictures then I remembered you folks are on the metric system and 13 cm isnt something I would hang a sign over :lol:

I don't get what being in pictures has to do with a buckle with 13 0n it Harry, maybe I'm just a bit slow lol. The 13th letter of the alphabet is m, now what illegal substance thats grown and smoked plus starts with the letter m :roll: what the 13 means is that your a user of that herb 8-) :roll: 1997 was the last time I had smoked that herb
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sorry Mike, just a crude joke on my part... 13 inches would make for easy employment in lets say "blue" movies while 13 cm probably wouldnt get a casting.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller