Commander Coin

Creations to please the eye, where form trumps over function.
Harry
Site Admin

Commander Coin

Post by Harry »

So my brother has this guy come into his shop a few weeks agon and he tells him he was the Commander of the USS Ronald Regan. He gave him a bronze coin that is pretty cool, kind of like his business card I guess at the taxpayers expense I'm sure. Anyhow it is a pretty cool coin with a high relief design that I thought would be great for making a copy. I did a couple in aluminum but I think I will do a silicone mold of it before I return it so I can try it in lost wax.

Here are some pics.
original.jpg
mold.jpg
mold2.jpg
casting_front.jpg
casting_back.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Re: Commander Coin

Post by mite5255 »

That looks great Harry, very fine detail which I don't think my green sand would pick up

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Really neat Harry, roughly what is the diameter? I did alright yesterday at a foundry in the town we do our shopping; dropped in to ask a few questions & walked out with about 3 litres of greensand & told nxt time bring in a 20 litre bucket & they'l fill it up for the best price of zero $$$!!!
On top down under
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks guys, my sand will pick up some pretty good detail. I have not used water bonded sand much but from what I have seen you can get just as good detail provided you have a similar grain size as that is what sets the surface. This sand is pretty good right out of the barrel but it does get better as it is used and you start getting the carbon fines and of course broken down grains giving a range of sizes that fill in the gaps between the grains.

The big differences between using oil bonded and water bonded are in venting and the ready to use aspect. No venting is needed with petrobond and it is always ready to go with no more than maybe a quick mulling even if it has sat for long periods without use.

Not sure on the diameter as I have not measured it but a little less than 2" would be my guess.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller