OK... I'm officially bored. Gotta do something creative

Creations to please the eye, where form trumps over function.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Here's one done in Microcrystaline modeling wax.  It's the worst to attempt tiny detail in carving.
Here's one done in Microcrystaline modeling wax. It's the worst to attempt tiny detail in carving.
Decided to make a couple rings. The wax isn't the kind to use for carving, it's a pain in the arse due to being too soft and gums up the tools used to carve with. Ends up taking more time than necessary to get anywhere close to what the detail needs to be. Figure this is close enough, though, (at this point) and will invest them and cast into zinc. Once made of zinc, they will be far easier to finish and detail using a dremmel with dental bits, then I can make silicone molds of the zinc originals and cast multiples in wax to sprue together and cast in groups of five or six at a time. The end products will be cast in silver. Been sit'n on a bunch of silver coins I've collected since my 20's. None of 'em ('cept for the Morgan silver dollars) have amounted to any value other than the silver content itself. The silver value is actually far more valuable as jewelery than the coins themselves. Since bikers love skull memorabilia I figure what the heck... turn'em into skull rings and see if I can turn'em for a nice profit. I know there are a lot of skull rings on the market already but all of 'em are stylized and hardly represent an anatomically correct skull. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones has a very nice one which many artists have attempted to copy but none of 'em, in my opinion, measure up. I figure I can do better.

There are four harley dealerships within driving distance I'm considering putting them for sale into. $350 each. Like I said above, the quality of the waxes are NOT the quality of what the end products will have. I'm going about this the hard way purely out of stubborness and lack of something better to do with my time. :) So consider this an example of what a fella can do with crap on hand and the tools we so enjoy mess'n about with. :lol: The finals will be far superior in quality. The profits i make off these jewels I'll put toward better wax and begin to carve out other products I've envisioned and designed to make I can use as patterns to cast.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Keep in mind I've never made a ring before... HAHAHA.... what the hell, why not give it a go. I can always re-melt and do something else with the silver if they turn out to be crap.
Attachments
This one's done in red sprue wax, it's also too soft to affect any minute details into.
This one's done in red sprue wax, it's also too soft to affect any minute details into.
dallen

Re: Commander Coin

Post by dallen »

look pretty good to me,
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I love it. Bikers should love it too. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

well done mate, your a highly skilled individual :D

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks pretty good. Why did you attach it to Harry's thread? ...Just wondering.

I'm not sure of the fascination of skulls and Dead Stuff??? Even though my nickname used to be "Skull" I imagine because I have a huge head. :P I saw a bike in town the other day that had to have at least 20 skulls painted or in castings all over his custom bike. It looked cool from a distance but up close it was just too much.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Wasn't think'n Jammer, that's why... I was look'n at that coin cast he was doing and realized that was goin on dang near a year ago... perhaps I was subliminally try'n to goad Harry out of the woodwork, who knows... :lol: Suffice to say the notion hit me to do something small and try to profit by it, seeing as how my day job doesn't allow me any quality time at home to do what I really want to do these days, i.e., sculpt and cast metal. I'm so far behind my schedule of get'n my shop running it's wear'n me down mentally. If any of the moderators here have the ability to move my post where it'd be more appropriate then have at it. Or, I can remove it if y'all feel it needs to be.
Jammer

Re: OK... I'm officially bored. Gotta do something creative

Post by Jammer »

:) Ok, I got it split. Starting to figure this out ... some. :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

THANKS Jammer!!! :D YOu 'da MAN!!!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Here Frank, I split your thread so you can continue your ring casting. I put the "Harry! Where are you?" Thread in Welcome and announcements.

Is that the same red wax you sent me? That stuff melts and works great. It make a hard durable pattern. I haven't tried to carve it yet. I thought about casting a wax pattern of the Foundryman belt buckle and trying to add some detail back into it. Just to sharpen the lines and add some of the face back in.