Da Queen

Creations to please the eye, where form trumps over function.
mite5255

Re: Da Queen

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:I finished welding on the Queen's head. It was a bit difficult. Using a borax flux I get a bright orange flare that keeps me from seeing the puddle very well. I have a lens that I use for gas welding aluminum at my California shop that filters out that orange light, but it cost 187 dollars so I am not going to be buying another one. I just added a lot of filler rod so I would be sure to have enough build up. Then I cut it off with a chisel. Time consuming, but it's better than having to re-weld. Welding this stuff takes a lot of time—and propane gas. I have to heat the entire casting to somewhere near dull red with a propane burner in order to weld it. This bronze conducts heat like you wouldn't believe.

Richard
Your a very skilled individual Richard, I just love your work

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Thank you Sir.
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Love this piece Richard. A couple of questions; roughly what are the dimensions of this sculpture & why did you cast in 2 pieces, was this because of size limits with you'r burnout kiln ? Cheers Trev.
On top down under
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

This was the fifth time I cast her. I had problems getting the moisture and the wax residue burned out of the core when I cast her whole. Things like this happened.

She is 18 (46 cm) inches high. Her head is 7 (18 cm) inches tall.

Richard
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Thanks for the info Richard. Viewing you'r last picture I can certainly see the drama you were having as a 1 piece casting & am so happy for you as you'r persistence paid off big time. She's gorgeous. Cheers Trev.
On top down under
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I poured a test casting of the head dress of an Egyptian Queen I am doing. Why a test? I put many hours of work into chasing the wax that I will use for the real cast. I made another wax without the detail to test with.

Good thing I did. The way I gated it there was no feed into the tail feathers, which inadvertently I had made the thickest part of the wax.There were only vents. There was some shrinkage there. Everything that the tail feathers could have drawn metal from had frozen, so it shrank.

Other than that it is perfect. I will add a gate to the tail and pour the real crown now.

I normally change out the bricks in the kiln base every couple of burn outs. I went too long this time. Globs of melted bricks partially closed off the flame tunnel and I couldn't get the burn out hot enough. It worked, but just barely. I need to make a burner tunnel from Mizzou.

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

looking good. but I do have to say that I like the bald look she has with no hair or helmet. you put a ton of work in that helmet hope the pour turns out ok.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

You are right on Dave. I like her bald too. I think she has a lovely head. I am very seriously considering having the crown be a separate sculpture entirely, and leaving her bald.

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

Rasper wrote:You are right on Dave. I like her bald too. I think she has a lovely head. I am very seriously considering having the crown be a separate sculpture entirely, and leaving her bald.

Richard
wish my talents bent to the artistic but sadly they don't, be nice to be able to do that type of stuff guy could make an extra dollar from time to time.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I put her head dress on her today to take a look. Damn if i don't like it.