Cooming soon: Finishing the sunchariot

Creations to please the eye, where form trumps over function.
GypsyTinker

Re: Cooming soon: Finishing the sunchariot

Post by GypsyTinker »

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I'm glad to see someone stick to such a daunting project and overcome... nay, SUCCEED so thoroughly.

It's great on so many levels. I hope this project inspires and enlightens people for years to come. I remember you saying something about kids, it would be great if they could have a path to find out about all the work and dedication you put in to this. Might get some kids in to metal casting or historical preservation/recreation.

Keep it up!!!
Only the highest standards of precision!
Peedee

Post by Peedee »

Totally agree, wonderful work! (And dedication!)
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

Thank you very much for your friendly comments! The patination is nearly finished - Of course it looks different from the original. The original sun chariot is some 3400 years old and was placed in a bog. It seems even the original location is sacrificed for farming sh**. It´s the same in the area where I live: With drying these bogs, the people kill a part of themselves. Perhaps somebody later get aware of what I want to tell... Also I´m pleased with the patination. It´s no color but some chemical reaction and products. That´s the fascination for me!
I´m waiting for the brush electroplating equipment to arrive and hope to get it finished - and some final detailed pictures.
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

The whole thing is nearly done - only two little bolts left, which connects the horse and the disc. Good to know how it´s done. Last big action was gold plating the disc by using brush electroplating. Electroplating was quite easy, if somebody is interested I can give more information.
The little crack in the center of the disc was in the wax pattern, I saw it but not expect to get good result , so it´s left as it was. No matter - it´s bronze age! ;)
Casting the horse goes to Mantrids credit. Again thank you very much: It´s a great piece of artisanry.
Last edited by _FL_ on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

While I am not familiar with the artifact this is modeled after it sure looks like it could be the real deal. Very nice looking, do you intend on selling this? Will it be a limited run sort of thing?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
_FL_

Re: Coming soon: Finishing the sunchariot

Post by _FL_ »

Harry wrote:While I am not familiar with the artifact this is modeled after it sure looks like it could be the real deal. Very nice looking, do you intend on selling this? Will it be a limited run sort of thing?
For information on the original: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trundholm_sun_chariot

Yes, it will be for sale. The only thing left is, find out how! ;)
There is something out, but on a poor level, not even full bronze. http://www.yatego.com/arsmundi/p,4d8e25 ... ginalgröße
The horse and the disc are cast in "polymer" (cold cast bronze?) , only the central pole is bronze (with wrong shape). It will hardly make some 100 years. :lol:

I learned very much on this project. That´s a big advantage. Time to make my mind up for a new own art project.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

_FL_ wrote:Yes, it will be for sale. The only thing left is, find out how!
Limited run, one off or open ended? If this was my piece I would first decide if I wanted to make more of them and if they were to signed, serialized and/or limited in any way. Setting a limit to a run can increase the potential of value to the buyer so I think this is a very good idea. This could be 100, 500 or more but I would certainly not go over 1,000 because the fewer that will ever possibly be made the greater the rarity of the piece. This will be important to someone willing to spend a few thousand dollars for it. I would also look into some sort of certificate with a serial that matches the one on the piece and have it notarized as to its place in the limited run. You may also want to consider keeping the first one as 001 could be a nice retirement present 30 years from now should you gain even modest fame for your work.

The next thing would be to start a website for this and future works to have a place to be displayed and purchased from. After that it is all about getting it out there. Post on sites like etsy linking back to your site so people will be able to find you.

Have a look at Frogmans site, he appears to have the marketing end of this down to an art. Once you have a few pieces together in your collection (this is if you intend to do limited runs) you would want to get more exposure, an article in a small local paper could get picked up in the news and being displayed in a public place could get you traffic. Consider donating or loaning one to a museum that deals with artifacts like this with the proviso that they display your name and website with the piece. You could do this type of loan with a few different places around the world, I see this as being desirable to many public institutions since it is tied to history more so than a sculpture of your own creation and could be a very nice niche to fall into with future projects creating continuity in your offerings.

You have a great talent and as proven by this piece the ability to see it through. I think the future could prove very bright for you.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

Harry wrote: Limited run, one off or open ended?
You mention some very important things to consider first! Thanks...! I continue the marketing aspect on the "Marketing Discussions"
The technical aspect will be closed with some better pictures of the finished stage. There will be some horse hair in the tail and something like a belt which connects the bail of the tail and the disc.
dallen

Post by dallen »

Beautiful job!!!
now to sharpen my skills up another notch or two.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette