Aluminum Flask

Where function is king.
4cylndrfury

Re: Aluminum Flask

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Yeah, They are pretty sharp in my book. If you wouldnt have mentioned it, I never wouldve thought the spacing was a mistake. How much do they weigh? They look like theyll last a lifetime or 3!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
dallen

Post by dallen »

Thanks Mike.

4CF they weigh about 12 pounds for the pair, anyway I weighed one of the sides that I remade and it weighed 1.9 pounds.

I wouldn't of thought that they would of weighed that much but you know how scales at home lie.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:Thanks Mike.

4CF they weigh about 12 pounds for the pair, anyway I weighed one of the sides that I remade and it weighed 1.9 pounds.

I wouldn't of thought that they would of weighed that much but you know how scales at home lie.
Yep I would have to agree Dave home scales lie ;-)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

4CF the spacing on the handles makes it hard to grasp both handles at the same time and it also makes for some really long guide pins. The first flask that I made similar to this I bolted angles onto it for handles and they came out about 2 inches apart so by using 4 inch long bolts I have nice long pins so you have to pick the cope up a ways to get it off. Also you can use small clamps to lock the pair together. with them 4 inches apart its not so easy, and the longer the pin the more room for error when sliding them back together or pulling them apart.
I have a guy with a CNC Router said that he would cut me some patterns for different size flask when he does I will make the handle part moveable so I can switch it from right to left by unscrewing it.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Those look great David, as noted they are sure to give long service.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Those look really good, thats on my next project list is to cast up some flasks my wood ones I made work well but are really too small for what im doing and would rather have a quality part like the ones you made.
Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

as they say Jeff its all in the pattern, make it so that when you pour a say 4" tall flask that without to much work you can cut the pattern down to say 2" or 3" tall by simply ripping the side off of it or cutting a strip out.

I need to make some shorter ones. but I sure like them except for the amount of sand that they hold.

Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Mine need to be taller, my covers might not actually show the size in pics my flasks are 14X14X5 and the Taco and Zebra cover are 4 1/2 tall.... now that size is great for gassing but my riser has to be tall, in my 3 months of learning this I figure my flasks were my fist mistake...
Pour Naked!
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

I like to pour top side up I have found I get a better finish for the way I pour but only has a little over a 1/2 inch of petrobond on the top side...

And the bottom is about 35 lbs....

Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

this is just me but I would make me some flask that were thick for the cope and thin for the drag, say 5, 5.5 inches deep for the cope then say a 4 inch, 3 inch, and a 2 inch deep one and have them all fit the same alignment pin setup, that way you could use them alone or in any configuration that you could think of.

The work your doing on those clutch covers is amazing. keep up the beautiful work.

I sorta been letting my casting go by the wayside while following other trains of thought. like helping a friend cast prop blades for a variable pitch prop for the sailboat he is building. But now that I know I don't have to worry about some other matters that have been dragging me down mentally I should get back into it. I have casted a couple molds of a 1895 remington rolling block receiver for a different friend that came out pretty decent.

here is a photo of the last one of those that I did. this was casted in NiBrAl with the melt being around 2000 degrees.