Aluminum Flask

Where function is king.
dallen

Aluminum Flask

Post by dallen »

I guess this is where this should of been put when I first posted about it.

Anyway I have been slowly but not so surely been working on the flask that I started I don't know how long ago. And I still haven't found the other of the two patterns that I made way back when.

But I do have 8 pieces casted and the edges milled off and squared up and all the holes drilled and tapped so that I can bolt them together.
Now its time to make the alignment pins and the assorted pieces, I think that I am just going to use some aluminum angle and bolt it to the flask and drill thru the two parts for the alignment pins and to keep everything turned the correction use two differant size pins. Say 1/2 on one side and 3/8 on the other.

Anyway I took some photos for people to throw rocks at or to admire your choice. They are located at---
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... sk%20pour/

David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Aluminum Flask

Post by Harry »

Very nice David, I really need to find the time to make more sides on mine and just cast up a pile of them in a variety of sizes. The aluminum flasks I have at this point are far and away my favorite ones to use. They can be some work in getting them together but they will last forever.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Yeah, my aluminum flask project stalled out badly. Maybe seeing this will get me off my duff! Those flasks look great BTW.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
dallen

Post by dallen »

one thing I learned is to make that first pattern like 18 inches or longer and once you get a good casting that you can use as a master just cut the end off the thing to shorten it up and cast a shorter one, that way you only have to make one pattern to cover two or three differant sizes.

But you know, hind sight is a hell of a lot better then fore sight. Now I get to make a new pattern. But I think that I will do it on a match plate, that way I can put in some grooves for the sand to grip onto. I also want to incorporate the bracket for the alignment pin into the pattern but have it removable so that I don't have to cast it onto all of the plates. I also want to make one thats thinner then this, of small stuff thats a lot of sand, and My back ain't what it used to be, Damn now I gotta build a bench.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

dallen wrote:Damn now I gotta build a bench.
You workin on the ground? That didnt work for me at all, being a big guy and tall and now getting old...er getting to the ground then back up is more work than ramming up half a dozen molds.

Build the bench, you will love it. Cost a few bucks but a quick and easy one with a truck bed tool box like Barry showed would be great. Just make a 2x4 box frame to raise it up to the level you want to work at and you are done. Plus it makes for a great weather proof/cat proof storage for your heap. Maybe find a used one a junk yard or on craigs list.

The other thing would be an ez up, I have a 12 x 12 I think was under $150... easy enough to put up and take down by myself in about ten minutes or less, this heat has been pretty bad the last few days.

The reusable pattern is a great idea cutting it down as you go and make aluminum patterns in each length. You do need to start out with the longest sides you want and work your way down, that way you have a flask to cast the smaller sizes in ;)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Hi Harry;
I have a bench or I should say I have a place to sit my moulds when I go to fill them with molten metal. Its a 10 foot long 2 feet wide piece of bar grate that I have sitting on top of two concrete blocks, my original intentions for the bar grate was a moulding bench, that may still happen. you can see part of it in the inserted photo.

I have it sitting with one end up against my big furnace the one I call the Blue Pig, why Blue Pig, cause its big fat and Blue. Its made from what is called a short 60 in the water well business. And when it gets hot it will eat anything from Peanut Shell's up to Cast Iron. It takes a little bit longer then the first furnace I made did to get hot but its made a lot heaver and its also bigger with it being able to I hope take up to a number 20 crucible, I don't have one that large to check with with. but its 18 inches deep with a 12 inch bore. I guess I should get a couple concrete blocks and put then by it for a step. I have to strech a little to pull my number 10 out when its full of iron.
And you are correct about it being a long way up from the ground, with the shot to hell section in my back any time I don't have to bend over is a relief.

As for as a pop up goes yea I could go buy me a canopy, but then I would probably go in the house and the thing would want to go visit with the nebighors or something, so its not worth it to me. I just wait till the shades in front of the shed and its cooled down a mite before I go outside and tinker. Its not like I have 50 orders waiting on castings that I need to pour but won't because it decided to be over 100 degrees again today.

The Blue Pig

The bench, part of me pour Cast Iron which is going to be a backplate for a 6 inch chuck.

And was I lucky the day I poured that back plate, you look at the photo and you will see that there is no weights on top of the flask to keep it from floating.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Those flasks did come out great, and your Blue Pig looks a lot like my Big Boy. :D
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

I'll have to drag the burner out that I use in the Blue Pig and take a picture of it. I keep thinking about making an oil burner but then what would I do with all the propane bottles that I spent so much time aquiring for almost nothing. I like your idea of the cart Jammer but I have so much stuff in the shed that my furnaces have to sit outside in the cold and rain, no comfortable dry under counter spot for them.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Those flasks look great :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

The only trouble with the cart is getting the crucible out. Aluminum isn't too bad but when I cast some Iron I'm going to have to make extra sure I have a good set of tongs to lift it. I know the post hole diggers aren't going to work for that, they just don't feel like they have a good grip. They may still work but I might alter ther handles a bit.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)