Aluminum Flask

Where function is king.
dallen

Re: Aluminum Flask

Post by dallen »

ok new day new handle on the ole recliner.

First order of business was that last night when I rammed it back up I cut the slope way out like three inches this helped but I didn't cut down the side deep enough as you will see.

Second the part poured full no problems there I vented both ends on 3/32 vent in tip of the handle and two one on each side of the steel square.

I also moved where I had been cutting the gate, I have been cutting it in to the flange where the square hole is needed. I moved it up into the body of the handle this got rid of the bubble, but I had a small shrink in the handle like the big end pulled metal to it faster then the sprue could feed it, the runner was 3/4 by a good 1/2 inch deep.

To remove the square peg I had to drill a hole in the handle so if I do another one I will drill a hole in the square bar so that I can insert a pin long enough that it will stick out the top of the handle and cast it in the steel this way I can drive the thing out with out messing up the finish, I also need to cut down the side deeper to get rid of the edge breaking off of he mold. not a big thing but it I had to make a hundred of these, clean up time. I may of pour way too hot, I let the furnace get overly hot while trying to melt a big hunk of FORD Wheel one of them thats got all the plastic on them that shine so nice, scratch the plastic and pay 400.00 bucks for a new one or better.

of the two handles laying on the flask the one in the back is the first one I did, the short one in from is the one with the big hole in it and the short pour.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

4cylndrfury wrote:I think usually this is where a follower comes into play, it lets you get a very flat part line compared to really coping down that deep which gives steeper angles to your part line. I agree with harry that a coped part line allows the sand to shift while you ram, so again, I think a flatter coped parting line is best. It still looks pretty great! Maybe once you get the coping and core worked out, you could cast in bronze, then adding some petina/gun bluing would really make it sizzle. Again, looks great!

Yea I need to rip the flask pattern down to 2 inches high and pour up four sides. rig it so as I can use it in between the two halfs or by its self with just one half of the flask. Pins shouldn't be to much of a problem, make it female and put longer pins in the drag.

dallen

Post by dallen »

oh yea guys I'm sure liking this aluminum flask it's so much nicer than the woodcrap ones I made, I also have two I made from pipe one 6 inch sch 40 and one 8 inch sch 40 the 8" one is kinda heavy but I can turn a bunch of weight off in the lathe. and the rough texture inside makes them hold the sand really well.

dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer wrote:The only trouble with the cart is getting the crucible out. Aluminum isn't too bad but when I cast some Iron I'm going to have to make extra sure I have a good set of tongs to lift it. I know the post hole diggers aren't going to work for that, they just don't feel like they have a good grip. They may still work but I might alter ther handles a bit.
was just reading your post here Jammer, one suggestion is too make a set of two man lift outs, make then so that they will fit a couple different size crucibles, that way you and the big strapping football player looking dude I saw in a couple of your pictures can get all hot and help out. I'm going to bend the handles on mine or rig up a lift our crane may even go so far as to make it a pouring setup also.
I think i can put a lift out rig on the blue pig have it so the weight of the furnace stops it from tipping, say rig it so I lift straight up high enough that I clear the lid, swing the lid close then roll the crucible straight back to the shank. I can handle the crucible find once its out of the furnace, its that pull up out and back intowards my legs that gives a little pucker factor when your on your own.

David

barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Real nice flasks David. I am pretty sloppy. Aren't you concerned about dripping molten aluminum on them?

Barry
dallen

Post by dallen »

the aluminum flask panels chill the molten metal to fast for it to melt the panel, and if it does well I guess I could throw in back in the pot. This is the best damn thing I have casted so far besides a new handle for my recliner, that one was a must have now kindda deal.

I am looking an thinking about taking an inch out of the middle of the pattern and make one say two and a half inches high, rig it so all I have to do is install longer pins to use it as an extender or as a thin drag or cope depends on which direction I flip. I also would like to maybe use some sonotube and plywood and made a say eight in round snap flask. gotta start looking into that one. soon

dallen

Post by dallen »

Ok, back on track with the flask project. here's a couple of pictures that I grabbed this morning of a part that I poured last night. I know they have some sand inclusions, know where they came from, sand fell down the vents when I was putting a pouring cup on the top. yea looks bad, but doesn't have to be fixed and gives me two sides for another flask.

You will notice that one side is differant than the other side, well I found the pattern that I lost some time back. Anyway picture time.
inside
outside

I didn't run short, the damn metal was coming out the vents is why the sprue is short, I was pouring thru a riser cut that I had cut a hole in the bottom of, I also think that I have some oxide inclusions in it, see them small gray spots, need expert opinion on this one, guys is it oxides or just a crappy pour, the inclusions I got already beat myself with a stick on that one.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The inclusion certainly isnt going to hurt its functionality. One thing I am wondering David is on the handles, when it is closed up is there plenty of room between the cope and drag handles to get your fingers in to pull the cope?

Also did you find you needed those vents? I pour my flask sides end to end whenever I can fit them that way with the feed coming in at one end and the riser at the other and a bob at each end. Less cleanup this way and I have had no problem pouring sides up to 23" long.

One more also, does that one side have the alignment handle built in?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry wrote:The inclusion certainly isnt going to hurt its functionality. One thing I am wondering David is on the handles, when it is closed up is there plenty of room between the cope and drag handles to get your fingers in to pull the cope?

Also did you find you needed those vents? I pour my flask sides end to end whenever I can fit them that way with the feed coming in at one end and the riser at the other and a bob at each end. Less cleanup this way and I have had no problem pouring sides up to 23" long.

One more also, does that one side have the alignment handle built in?
The sand holes are from when I was packing sand around the cup I was going to use for a pouring basin, sand fell down the vents.

On the flask that I have finished yes I left and inch between the angles I bolted on so that I can get all of my big AZ fingers in between them, I used a couple stainless steel bolts for pins cut the heads off rounded the ends and double nutted them.

On the gating and bobs and I couldn't get Sally in there, the flask I am pouring these in, if you look at the picture of the two together, well theres about 5/8 inch rook around the outside to the wood. No ROOM so yes I use vents worked great, first set would of poured but I used too small of a crucible. and those vents only need to be sawed off, nothing else needed, but I am going to go to a smaller vent. The runner was molded into the sand with a 1/2 X 3/4 pine strip. I need to see about making some runners and gating out of machineable wax, I have a bunch I made.

And yes that one side has a spot that was suppose to be for a pin, ooop's I made it too small, so its just one there I figure I can use it for a clamp pad of something.

One last thing before I get nabbed on it, I didn't pour short, I had metal running out of vents as is evident by the big azz mushroom head on the one vent, the other one ran over the side and tried to leaf the scene of the pour if you know what I mean.

Now how can I fix my avatar, I went to put a new one on, and no matter what size I set it at it won't load

dallen

Post by dallen »

I found the fix Harry

Return to “Part Castings”