New Part WoW new Topic...

Where function is king.
Jeff Clark

New Part WoW new Topic...

Post by Jeff Clark »

Ok so here is a part I worked on making a pattern for and never really getting around to finishing it.. so I decided to get on my dead rear and get to work on it.
The part is a header the one on the engine shown is my original pattern so you get the idea, I decided to split my pattern and weld the part once finished Im only going to produce 10 or so of these and just seems to be the most economical way for such a small run. The header itself I was looking for a 60's feel with it and this is what I came up with.

First one poured last night, I think im going to clean this up good and use it for my actual pattern rather than my beer box bondo one... yes thats what the one above is made from (recycle)

Pour Naked!
Nudge

Re: New Part WoW new Topic...

Post by Nudge »

That is a sweet looking exhaust! do you think it will need suport so the studs dont break off.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

It is lighter than it looks I think it will be fine, This is another Part I made over the weekend it is a scrub brake pad for Sears mini bikes, People that have the old sears units havent been able to get a new one for 30 years.

Pour Naked!
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

pretty cool, youve managed to find quite a nice lil niche for yourself. Your castings and surface finish look great!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Jeff- a question if I might- are you using scrap or a designated alloy like 356? I realize these are mini-bike and vintage- but is there a spec for a specific alloy or type that you have run into ? Just curious!
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Thanks All, On material at first I was using scrap and it just was not working for me for what I do, I found that I can buy certified 356 here for 1.56 per pound last time I purchased 60lbs and that will last a long time. I do have alot of remelt from my parts and I can tell by color when I have to add some fresh to the melt, I will do a 5lb remelt and 5lb new to the mix. I have made some parts with 6061 also but for the most part just stick with the 356.

I always break my raises off just as it is cooling so thats one last thing I have to band saw and throw them back into the pot, depending what part im making I will pour two or three flasks at a time and some time the flasks will have two parts in them so I will get 3 to 6 parts per pour depending..

Pour Naked!
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

thanks for the info- I look forward to your ideas and parts! thanks from a noob!