coffee roaster part

Where function is king.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: coffee roaster part

Post by Harry »

Will look forward to the video. On the roast do you go for a light or dark? We like the profile we use now as it give a nice medium roast where it is just getting into the second crack and the oils are beginning to form on the beans. I am with you on the height of the pyrex, I was wondering if there was some need for it to be so tall. The chamber on my iRoast is maybe 4" tall, granted it is a 4 oz batch but then it is also only about 4" diameter.

How do you deal with the chaff? My roaster has a metal perforated upside down bowl that makes the air go down then back up to a fine screen and all of the chaff ends up there. I really like the design of that machine and it has been operating for us for the last two years without fail. It was $200 even with the small batch size.

On the write up, if you decide you are not going to market the roaster if you posted pictures and a parts list in this thread I would put a page together for the site. Maybe you would be willing to provide the cast parts? Could be a cool little DIY project for someone to put together and maybe put a couple of duckets in your pocket.

This is just the type of thing I would love to see a lot of down the road from the members here, anything from complete products from machine ready castings with instructions for finishing.

Anyhow, just something to mull over... cool project none the less.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

Here here!
Only the highest standards of precision!
dallen

Post by dallen »

Chaff, thats a big problem in some of the home built roasters where people want to setup on the kitchen counter and roast away and fill the house with the awesome smell of fresh roasted beans. That you can't do with this as its at this stage over three feet tall, plans to shorten are in the works, but you know how it is, be easier to build a whole new lower section, and find someone to cut the pyrex or just buy a new shorter one, it has been suggested to use coleman lantern globes. I like the idea of a ready supply of tubing from a glass dealer better.

Back to the Chaff, I don't deal with it, I roast outside, have roasted outside when it was 17 degrees here in oklahoma. Chaff just blows out the top. but for someone that was going to roast in the garage it would need a chaff collector, I would look at sometype of a stand alone on the side or a top hat design like yours would be better, cause a 1.5 pound batch generates a lot of chaff. I do have vents on the top to regulate the air pressure in the roaster with, and these do slow the chaff down. But it all blows out the top, my roast are chaff free with this roaster (by that I mean that it all blows out into the nebighors yard).

I can see where your suggestions have merit, I don't know if it would work with me as I have a very irregular work schedule that takes to out of town for uncertin lengths of time. This would interfer with people wanting to order parts (castings) and expect them in a timely fashion, I know that when I order something that I hate to have to wait the 9 to 12 days it takes for somethings to be delivered by UPS ground.

And as they say in the real world the jobs not done till the paperworks finished and mines not for this last trip, enjoy the thougths that have been produced with this you have given me lots to think about, and yes for a small fee to the casting operation around here I would cast parts for a roaster for someone that wanted to build one. I actually have plans to make all the flat plate parts out of castings to give this thing an old world look, now I wonder who I know that has a cnc machine that could cut a pattern for a curved emblem to fit the heat section.
David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

here is the video of the roast that I did this morning, nothing fancy, 1.5 pounds of Costa Rican La Minita Tarrazu that I had ordered a while back this was the second roast that I did this morning, of course the first one had its little difficulties or it would be on here for the world to see.
heres the link to the video if anyone wants to watch it. this is not an instructable or howto on roasting coffee, it is a video of myself roasting green coffee hope that you can understand whats going on. if not ask question. I don't know why the link won't post like it should

Ok I happened to run onto a post by Harry that gave some instructions on how to embed the url for youtube so guess the dang gray box ain't as smart as it was acting like.

Enjoy the video

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Nice :) I love fresh rosted coffee :P
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

Nudge wrote:Nice :) I love fresh rosted coffee :P
you can't get it any fresher than that

David

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That is really nice David, good sized batch too. I will second the love on fresh coffee, drinking a cup right now.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller