Something I did....

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
latzanimal

Something I did....

Post by latzanimal »

Finished off this Purpleheart segmented snare last May. Had the shell built when the customer backed out. Hung it from the light fixture in the dining room to let it patina. Maple ring in the middle for those keeping score. Anyhow...
Purpleheart.jpg
Jammer

Re: Something I did....

Post by Jammer »

Very nice!! Beautiful, how is the sound?
I have not forgotten about the Bronze Drum you want to make. I've been rolling it around in my little brain for several years now. Especially since someone told me I couldn't build a centrifugal caster, I would be killed! I have some other ideas about the metal, I hope to test some out when it warms up. Did you get that lathe up and running? How did you turn and finish this drum? What are the dimensions of the drum body and wall thickness. Probably have to have at least 2 furnaces going to have enough metal to fill. Maybe enlist Chirpy although he doesn't know it yet. :D
Now see, you've got me all fired up again. My mind just moves a lot faster than my feet. I probably would have worked on this more if we would quit moving around.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Amazing, beautiful finish there. Whats the diameter on that? Imagining those tiles are 4 or 6" so 16 to 24" is my guess.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I am humbled.

Richard
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

The shell is 7.25" deep x 13.875" diameter with a .3125" wall thickness. Just zoomed in on the drum Harry. I did complete a couple of others, but they were ply shells with a wrap.

Jammer, I understand how life gets in the way. Certainly has here. Still sitting on a pile of broken bronze. I finished the drum with brush on Poly. I spin the shell as I finish it allowing the poly to self level. Centrifugically... lol. Then wet sand and buff.

Richard, that is quite the compliment seeing your work....

Thank you all....
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Have seen the spinning poly done. My daughter does cups with snake sheds on them using a small one.

Going to dip my toe into 2 part epoxy coatings soon, like Bar Top. Its some pricey stuff but can bump the looks and value of some wood pieces.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller