Employment

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
4cylndrfury

Employment

Post by 4cylndrfury »

About 8 months ago, the logistics company I work for announced that the contract for my site was up. The mgt was actively pursuing a different contract with the the same client that would end up providing greater stability and greater income for the site. So in that vein, we began to "transition" out of the current role. We began to transfer equipment and inventory to other places to make room for the new contract. Everything was great! We were all ready for the new challenges we were facing, and we all were excited about the prospects the future held.

Thats when the bottom fell out :shock: . We didnt get the new contract. We had been in effect transferring our very existence to other plants within the company, and had been training our replacements as well. I began the job hunt immediately, sending probably 50+ resumes out at a rate of 5-10 a week, for over a month. Durring that month, as things went from an environment of excitment and a strong team mentality, to a cut-throat, everyone for themselves mindset...we were canabalizing each other in an effort to stay employed. I was moved from a higher internal position to a foctory grunt assignment. I had held a similar spot 6 years ago when I began, but through hard work, effort, determination, and application of my work ethic, I was promoted several times. I got the opportunity to work with my mind and no tmy back for once. I was in a good spot and poised for even further advancement when the news came that we were all going to be let go at some point. as work waned, and my function slowly got transferred to a site in another state, my team was broken up, and I was moved to the afore mentioned general labor position.

I dont mind working hard. I dont mind having to get my hands dirty, but not this way. I had worked too damn hard. :evil: . So I decided enough was enough.

I found a manufacturing plant in the Ohio valley, and put my name in. After a few interviews, I was provided a job offer, which I accepted. That in and of itself is a great thing considering how very many people in this area are losing their jobs. But the real win in my mind is that the position is with a privately owned,9 digit income company, who has had 8 back-to-back years of growth, and is poised to take the operation to the next level...and at the end of the day, we are making good 'ol, 'merican made goods.

Manufacturing is supposedly a dying industry in America. Indeed, Washington has regulated many manufacturers out of business, sending good jobs overseas. But I think there is going to be a rennaissance of sorts in mfg in America. It is a good trade, where skill and intelect is as valuable as it is in medicine, law, or other white collar industries. People who are willing to leant the ropes, and get their hands dirty, can be well paid for an honest days work. And we are a nation of workers waiting for the opportunity.

Im not trying to brag about finding work, or trying to villify the government. Im trying to just say that the right attitude, and puttign forth effort can pay off. I am proof. It can be done. We can do it.

-Drew
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Wayne

Re: Employment

Post by Wayne »

Good on you 4cy. Way to go.

Good luck with you future...

Wayne
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Congrats 4CF and I think your description of the company itself shows that government is not killing these business. It is greed and wanting to make even more obscene profits that drives jobs overseas. Hope the new job works out well for you.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

woops! harry, please move this thread to square peg...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No problem and I would like to point out thats all it takes and two clicks later its done. I will sometimes move a thread on my own if I think there is a better fit but much better for the thread starter to request it because I dont always see straight :/
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Congrats 4CF. I have been thru something similar with a different ending. However, its been a long strenuous year.

I will agree with Harry that greed is the biggest factor, however our government is not helping. I had a video of Tom Donahue, The CEO of the US Chamber of Commerce, actively promoting the outsourcing of American jobs. When companies do this, not only do they get the tax break, but the money earned is not taxed because it was earned in another country. Effectively giving them a double dip on the system.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, just struck a nerve....
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Speaking of jobs, I ain't worked this hard in years. I, too, got screwed out of work by an employer who put greed ahead of its employees which opted to cut loose their "oldest" and most experienced employee (your's truly) and keep the two younger bucks I trained. I was devastated, at first... I, too, flooded the market with applications and resumes and there for a while it looked like I was permanently put out to pasture. At the very moment it looked like I would be needing to speak to a bankruptsy attourney I got a call out of the blue from a resume I put out a month or more prior. It was my previous employer's biggest competitor, a company who once thought to buy our company but decided not to because we didn't make enough profit with the staff we had on payroll. He didn't blame the workers, it was the management he felt was holding the company back. Anyway... like I said, out of the blue he calls me. Said he contacted my previous employer's clients and interviewed them about their experience of me serving them in the industry. He said the praise was outstanding and this coming from people who have no obligation to me for nuth'n. And, since now that i'm working with this new employer those clients have come to me for quotes and services droping my previous employer who they've been with for over a decade. I had no idea these professionals thought of me so highly. Funny, my previous employer would never allow me above the level of skilled, well experienced grunt. Project management was never an option for me at that company as they found every excuse imaginable to deny me the opportunity. I come to the conclusion they thought I'd screw things up, not handle the rigors of managing projects and probably run people off and piss off clientel with my military approach to life. This new employer looked at that character of mine as an asset and immediately put me in oversight positions of projects he had under way. Soon after, along with the project oversight, he had me writing proposals and fee estimates for new work. In short order i began winning bids and bringing in profits to the new boss that believed in me. I'm now a project manager as well. And the bids I'm winning are projects my previous employer also bid upon. KARMAH's a bitch, ain't it!!!

Anyway, good score for you on hook'n up with that more grounded company. I know from experience. Good things do come about to those who percevere and devote themselves to good ethics. This new job, btw, is the reason I've been so absent of late. I'm bank'n overtime daily, often seven days a week. No end in sight of the work this company has stored up. WhooHOOO!! Free at last, free at last, thank GOD almighty I'm free to fly at last. I wish you luck with the new job gig. Sounds like you're a shoe in for what they need in quality personnel.