Wildlife

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Harry
Site Admin

Wildlife

Post by Harry »

We get some pretty odd visitors around here at times. A couple of weeks ago I was working by my shop and heard an odd cheep cheep and looked around in the sky. I noticed out of the corner of my eye something move by on the ground behind some crap stacked along the fence. It was one of those things where you saw enough to think you know what you saw but really are not sure if your mind was playing tricks on you. I could have sworn it was a baby duck running by with its head stretched up the way they do when they are in a hurry.

I went into the house and told the wife and daughter to come outside and told them what I thought I saw and wanted help in looking for it. Now remember we live in the desert, high desert at 3000 feet in elevation but desert none the less complete with Joshua trees and sage brush. Well their help lasted about a minute with a :roll: "If you see your duck again come get us". Well that was the end of the duck hunt as I had other things to do and really I wasnt sure what I saw, could it have been one of the kittens?

Well anyhow the evening goes on and we had some company over for a BBQ (wifes Brother and his Wife and daughter) and of course I was the butt of the goin' crazy jokes with my duck in the desert. Our company had their 6 year old daughter with them and she of course spent the whole time terrorizing the kittens and basically getting into whatever she could find which is considerable around here. We were sitting on the porch and here she comes running around the corner arms outstretched screaming "I caught a duck" :shock: , she told us she was stalking a kitten and the kitten jumped on the duck so "I whacked the cat and took the duck". It looks like a mallard but hard to tell as he does not have his feathers yet, more of a fur still.

Well she saved my sanity for the night by producing the object of my delusion and we set up a kiddie pool for which the duck seemed very grateful. We also tossed some bread into the pool and it ate as it swam around seeming to love that it had both food and water. They ended up taking the little guy with them when they left that night because they knew someone with a small pond a couple other ducks, I hear our little desert duck is quite happy in his new digs.

Now how this little fella showed up here is a mystery. We are miles from water and close to a mile from any neighbor that might have had a duck, hard to imagine him walking that far through the sage.

Well the following week the same folks were over for another BBQ, it was dark by the time I started cooking and the wifes Brother and I were out in the Gazebo BSing while the chicken burned. The yard was quite dark with no outside lights on other than right at the BBQ and I needed something from the house. When I approached the deck I heard what I thought was a growl and a scurrying sound. When I got back to the Gazebo I told the wifes Brother and he started in about the duck and said it was probably one of the cats. Well a short time later I took a flashlight and shined it over onto the deck and there was three raccoons eating the cat food, these were little guys maybe half grown but still a fair sized animal.

I smacked him upside his head and told him next time I tell you something you better believe me and he assured me he would.

Then we come around to the following week and I was sitting on the deck enjoying the evening and the momma raccoon just wandered up onto the deck with me not more than 15 feet away. There was no food out so I got up and went into the house and got a scoop of dog food and dumped it into the bowl on the porch then sat back down. It wasnt seconds and four little raccoons were on it like sharks in a frenzy. I had not given them much and it was gone quick, momma did not come back onto the porch but I could see her in the shadows keeping a close watch.

Well about the time they finished up what was there the wife and daughter got home from their JuJitSu class so I got some more food and the camera and we all sat out on the deck 10 to 15 feet from the food bowl. I think three came back to eat more but never more than two at one time, here are some pictures I took.
100_5509.jpg
100_5508.jpg
100_5505.jpg
Over the years we have had just about anything and everything show up here. Once we caught a fawn that was injured and tried to nurse it but it ended up dying. The wife saw a mountain lion in the driveway coming in from work not long ago. We have had black bears, skunks, roadrunners and a variety of snakes and some pretty huge scorpions. Eagles and redtail hawks have visited us and of course since this is open range country we had had a heard of cattle in the yard more than once.

The oddest thing though has to be that damn duck. I have some pictures but they are on the camera memory instead of the memory card so I will have to figure out how to get them off.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Re: Wildlife

Post by mite5255 »

Its cool when wildlife do that Harry. Where my daughter lives there is a lot of native bush and you see lots of wild life out the, kangaroos are very common so are goannas, they shared the original house out there with a possum that lived in the roof, after the sun went down he would jump from the roof onto the lid of the water tank which was next to the back door, if no one came out he would climb back onto the roof and then jump back onto the tank till some one came out and gave him something to eat. Anyway later on a carpet python took residents in the roof then no more possum, they found a carpet skin out side there back door once, the son in-law and I measured it and we estimated it to be about 4 inches in dia and mush have been 6 ft in length

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have to say I am happy not to have four foot lizards and huge snakes around here. You guys down under also have a very venomous aggressive snake (Brown Snake?) that I am glad to be an ocean away from.

We do have rattle snakes, I have eliminated a few of them over the years of living out here. Part of my wifes job is relocating snakes if people call in on them so she sees a lot more of them than most people do. She describes the Sidewinder a one mean ass animal, it is very aggressive and will try to bite you with the slightest antagonization.

Our raccoons were back again last night, my daughter and I were sitting in the living room and we had the door open to allow the night air into the house. I heard a noise and thought "man that cat is really hungry" and turned to see which little devil was making such a fuss at the food bowl. When my chair spun around I spooked the interloper and saw a striped tail head out the door. Not three feet behind me that scamp had come into the house to get into the cats food bowl. I took a bowl of food out to the deck for them and once again the herd came in to enjoy the free meal. This time the momma cam up onto the porch and ate with them though she was still quite wary. We got a better head count and saw there was not four babies but five.

Once they were done they drifted off and my daughter went out to pick up the empty bowl and clean up the scattered mess. She called to me to come out and look at something, while shining a flashlight into a tree in the yard you could see a bunch of tiny lights (eye reflections) in the top of the tree. We watched as the momma wandered around the gazebo then went over to the tree and seemed to look up and say something to them then as if on cue a line of babies (I say babies but remember these are half the size of the momma which must be at least 15 lbs) came down the tree and counted not five but six little ones.

Like ducks in a row they followed her out of the yard and off into the desert, probably to bunk down for the night now that their bellies were full. We have decided to quit feeding them, this could get bad with them having absolutely no fear of humans. It is also odd the way they get along with the cats, they are cautious of each other but other than that they seem to not really care the other is there.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

We've got a skunk that hangs around, catch a slight whiff of him now and then. He gets in the trash and digs in the flowers. I'm just glad we don't have a dog or there would be a big stink.
We get some big Rat Snakes and Milk Snakes around here. I haven't seen or heard of any Copperheads or Cottonmouths for a long time. They were the only poisonous snakes we have.
We have coyotes moving back into the area, giving local dogs the mange and killing chickens. We're allowed to shoot them.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

The brown snake is deadly but the taipan is a lot worst, at least we don't have man eating bears, cougars and such, up north they do have crocodiles tho. We also have dingo which is a wild dog

Mike
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

We havent had any problems with skunks in 20 years out here (knock on wood) but they are around. I think they tend to keep their distance better than some of the braver critters. We did have them under our house when I was a kid, my brother and I trapped them and set em loose at the lake until one sprayed when my brother was messing with the trap and our dad put an end to our skunk trapping days. Also made us sleep on the porch for nearly a week.

We also have plenty of coyotes here, apparently not enough considering this momma raccoon is running around with 6 little ones.

Mike, dont know how you get a lot worse than deadly, hehe... That does sound like a nasty snake though. I dont like snakes, they give me the heebie jeebies, I mean I have no problem picking up a red racer or garter snake but that instant of recognition on seeing a snake before you decide if it is a bad one or not gets my heart going. If I know what it is though I will pick them up and carry them off into the next property to let them loose. Caught one in my daughters car once, close to a 6' racer... will have to see if I can find a picture of that one. He was living in my shop for awhile and even got into the house once.

Years ago I was out collecting rocks for a little waterfall in the yard. As I was picking up rocks I was constantly thinking this one will have a snake under it. I was so focused on watching out for a rattler when I turned over a rock and there was a huge scorpion (probably over 6" long) it scared the crap out of me.

About two miles away from me is where the South Fork of the Kern River comes down out of the mountains. At the point where it enters the valley I live in is the tail end of the South Fork Preserve. This is the largest riparian forest in California and a lot of wildlife moves through it from the high country. This probably creates a higher level of activity that would normally be associated with the type of terrain we have, well that and the fact that all around me are mountains so you are always going to have something wandering down.
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote: Mike, dont know how you get a lot worse than deadly, hehe... That does sound like a nasty snake though. I dont like snakes, they give me the heebie jeebies, I mean I have no problem picking up a red racer or garter snake but that instant of recognition on seeing a snake before you decide if it is a bad one or not gets my heart going. If I know what it is though I will pick them up and carry them off into the next property to let them loose. Caught one in my daughters car once, close to a 6' racer... will have to see if I can find a picture of that one. He was living in my shop for awhile and even got into the house once.

Years ago I was out collecting rocks for a little waterfall in the yard. As I was picking up rocks I was constantly thinking this one will have a snake under it. I was so focused on watching out for a rattler when I turned over a rock and there was a huge scorpion (probably over 6" long) it scared the crap out of me.

About two miles away from me is where the South Fork of the Kern River comes down out of the mountains. At the point where it enters the valley I live in is the tail end of the South Fork Preserve. This is the largest riparian forest in California and a lot of wildlife moves through it from the high country. This probably creates a higher level of activity that would normally be associated with the type of terrain we have, well that and the fact that all around me are mountains so you are always going to have something wandering down.
With deadly you may get to hospital, with a taipan you turn religion real quick, you just have to choose the right one :roll: I my self if I had time would try and pray to them all and hope I don't miss the right one and hope the gods hear my pitiful prays and takes pity on my pitfall quivering soul
We don't have taipans around here but we do have browns, harmless green tree snake are common,plus red belly blacks and a few others, blue tongue lizards are common and are quite harmless as long as you leave them alone. A few months back we had a carpet snake about as thick as your wrist taking a rest on the rafters of our pergola, he was left alone and next morning he was gone, where I have no idea, he sure had a smell tho,so I rung the Australian Zoo( which is about 20 minutes up the road from me )to ask them about the smell and they said that's normal they said he's had a crap and it sure smells, now this is were it gets interesting,I have smelt that smell before and always thought it was dead rodents and have damn near pulled every thing out of my shed trying to find the offending carcass, man you have no idea how please I'm that I didn't come across the offending carpet snake, not that I have a problem with them but if he felt me scratching around and thought he was in danger he sure would give me a nasty bite
Mike
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Like Jammer, here in south-west Ohio, we also have coyotes moving in. Apparently, if they pack up, they will "befriend" a domesticated dog, until the moment is right, and poor old rover becomes a meal. We dont see em too much in the summer (mostly due to the undergrowth), but when the trees are bare in the winter, you see a couple from time to time. We get the occasional garter snake, and moles quite often (I dont mind the snakes that much when the moles are around). We do see a lot of aviary specimens to look at - red tailed hawks and barn owls are all over. Every so often there will be some torn up guts in the yard, and I know its the lower intestines and bowels of some poor rodent that one of the big birds got a hold of. Sometimes a big ol' blue heron (previously endangered but making a comeback here) will drop down into my little goldfish pond and try to get at my fish...gotta shooo them off cuz theyll snap up a dozen goldfish without much effort seeing as the water is shallow and clear.

The only cool close encounter we had though was a run of the mill white tailed doe. The lot our house is on slopes down from front to back, so the ground floor is about 4' off the ground in the back of the house. The wife and I were getting ready for work, and the dog is very interested in something outside the window...this is not out of the ordinary, he always sees some squirrel or bird or other random wildlife traipsing around back there. But when I open the blinds, there, on the other side of the window glass, staring nose to nose with my husky is this doe. Due to the grade, shes face to face with my dog. Neither of them move a muscle, nor my wife and I...everyone is mesmerized by this odd encounter. Its probably a good 30 seconds that go by before my dog lets out the faintest whimper, and the doe is off and over my 5' fence without barely an effort. We all thought it was cool, and go about our way. Whats really cool, is it happens again over the NEXT 4 MORNINGS! it was truly crazy, this doe was facinated to watch us get ready (kind of a perv if you ask me :lol:). She hasnt come around since, but I still remember that weird week last year.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen

Post by dallen »

put you up a mineral block or salt and she'll come back, deer are very courious about things, When I was a kid living in northern california in was not unusual to come home and find deer on the front porch like they were just dropping by for a cup of coffee and a biscuit.

we got all four of the posionious snakes hanging around Oklahoma somewhere down in the southeast part of the state you can find every now and then one of them little coral snakes that everyone gets the colors mixed up on ones red to yellow posion as hell,the other one red to black just a garden snake. but thems the little ones we got some big ole rattlers running around some of em 7, 8 feet long. black widows and fiddle backs are throwed in there somewhere.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette