where is everybody?

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
mite5255

Re: where is everybody?

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:I got out after spending the afternoon making an adapter that would fit in a 3/4 R8 collet and hold a 1.5 inch end mill, still gotta drill the two set screw holes and thread em. I will post up a picture before long.
Love to see that Dave. still no word from harry
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

yes this is stating to be like Where in the World is Harry, I emailed him the other day. Haven't heard a word.

Which one the flask side or the end mill adapter?, I got therapy this morning I get back I'll take the one our the mill, get the other off the furnace and get both of em in the same photo. That work, the finish on the adapter is kinda rough, something in the gear train is causing a weird cutter track to show up, I cut the Adapter our of a hunk of 2" 4140 Annealed Tool Steel, turned the small end and then parted it off with the parting blade.

The Flask Side I poured with my usual Wheelium as others call it, I call it 20" Ford Wheel. Anyway I have been using the flux I got from Harry in every melt plus degassing with some crushed up degass tablet (One's good for about 300 lbs) I use about 1/2 a Teaspoon full in an A6. Anyway the metal is to me getting better the surface smoother I'm still using the same sand that I mixed up out of Play Sand that has gravel that is up to 1/4 inch in size in it. I'm not sure how hot I have been getting the melts, day before yesterday I tried to do a Double on the pattern but had one that poured short, this is/was because the flask was sitting unlevel, I also have been leaving the flask on top of the muller which is actually way to high to pour at, but with a bad messed up back it beats trying to move them, guess I could move half at a time before I closed the mold.

Looks like there is some changing around that needs to be done ye' ole foundry to accommodate a wore out old man.

Anyway Picture in the next couple of hours, Therapy awaits.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

Ok as promised here is some photos of one the Adapter I made for a 1.5 inch end mill cutter, nothing fancy a hunk of 4140 turned down and bored out.
And the latest flask side.

I picked a photo of the flask side that has some defects in it, namely pain brush hairs on the varnish from when I shellaced the the pattern. I chose this photo to show the surface texture that I am getting with the sand that I have been using which was mixed up from some Cheap Play Sand, this sand has gravel in it up to the size of a 1/4 inch, not a lot of it but its there, I added about half a bag of fine silica sand to the mix, this was added not as a filler but more to use up some sand that was in a bucket from a bag that had gotten wet back in June and would not it seem dry out. so in the muller it went a little at a time.

and for those that want to see the rest of this mornings pictures and for those that want to kill a good hour or so heres the link to the whole album.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/home/Superdave257/index

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

That flask side came out real good :D I would have thought that that hair would have burned out, must have been a good brush.
The only thing that I can see wrong is the chuck key that you left in the chuck :shock: I was told that if a chuck key was left is a chuck I would be banned from using the lathe ( this was way back when I was at school ) I told a friend the same thing the other day so you are not the only one. :) Think safe, Keep safe. ;)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

I can make all kinds of Excuses for it, but I was in a hurry to take the picture of the adapter, I lucked out on that little project in that I only had to make one of them, I got two 1.5 inch end mills off of Evil Bay, but then didn't have a way too use them. I got the fit on that adapter and the cutter so that you can hear it sucking air when pulling it apart. I still have to put in a couple of set screws to hold the cutter in place.

I was pointing out that hairs, or what look like hairs in the casting. They are hairs, but they are in the shellac on the pattern. what is amazing about it is that the sand that I am using is a bag of play box sand that I got at the lumberyard and it has gravel in it that is up to a quarter of an inch in diameter, not much but its there. The stuff rams up nice and tight without leaving a sand textured finish on the surfaces of the part. I've got one or two more parts to make off of the flask patten then I am going to cut an inch wide strip out of the middle so it will only be two inches wide then make a flask that is 4 inches tall with stacked together. But I want to make them so that they will mate with the the ones I already have.

nice thing about flask made this way you have to move you take your flask apart bag and tag the nuts bolts, stack the panels in a box your done with it.

Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I been around as well, Been preparing for the Audits at work and trying to keep up. Now that they are over, I have some more time to myself, but no space to work as I'm in a Rental up here >.< The garage is full of the roommates shit, I may have to move her stuff over to one side so I have a half to myself. I too, wonder where everybody has moved to, or if they just gave up alltogether.
dallen

Post by dallen »

why you let her take over the whole garage, you know your going to need all of it when you got time to play with the toys.

Jelly

Post by Jelly »

She's moving out in November, I can compromise until then ;) I am going to start ordering some Proxxon tools every week, by the time she moves out, I'll have a whole shop worth *evil laugh* The #1 thing I can see that I need right now is to build a new furnace, I may start a thread over at AA and start asking for advise on building a small efficient furnace. (Propane or Electric, Can't do oil in the pacific northwest, just... no. Freakin EPA.)
dallen

Post by dallen »

ask here, not many people drop by but the ones that do are knowledgeable. I gotta put a new wall in mine the one thats in it is melting from the heat of doing Cast Iron in it.

latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

I'm sure nobody missed me. And as cool as I think casting is, I originally followed over here from the other site of which my original intentions were to find someone to do a bronze casting for me. I wish I had more than smart ass comments to add.... I still check in..