My new toy..

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
latzanimal

My new toy..

Post by latzanimal »

Well, after the first Monarch I looked at, I wasn't searching whole heartily. However, in a discussion with a friend of mine about the rusty lathe, my friend tells me that his company just had an auction and 2 of the lathes did not sell. Long story short, just need to get it home now...

For $300 I couldn't pass it up. It was running when it was disconnected 9 months ago, so we'll see....
latzanimal

Re: My new toy..

Post by latzanimal »

Oh yeah, this one has a 24" swing and a 10 foot bed. :o The 3 jaw chuck is 16"

Anyone need a cannon barrel? :lol:
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Nice !!! Did you say there was 2 of them? LOL
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Yes, the other one is HUGE! 30" swing with a 12 foot bed. Not a Monarch, much , much older
dallen

Post by dallen »

takes a lot to wear out old iron like that, you have to know what your doing pretty good fore someone will normally stick someone on a lathe that big, you go uuuuuuooo and they tear up stuff in a big way when you got say a 24" diameter shaft in one thats 7, 8 feet long.

you did damn good for 300 dollars, I'd pay that and don't have any place to put on that big, cept on the driveway. what part of the country did you find in it if I may ask?
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

These days, big lathes like that are easier find and cheaper buy than smaller lathes. I think it's because most machine shops have gotten away from large non-CNC lathes and they're too big for the average hobbyist as a result, the market for these monsters is pretty limited so there are great deals to be had for anybody wanting one.
dallen

Post by dallen »

doesn't necessary hold true in oil country. a lather like the one latza found for 300 is likely to bring 2500 here in oklahoma. yes there are cheaper ones for like a grand, and a scant few that are under that but they are like a hundred years old.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thats a fantastic deal, I need to get a metal late also

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

I am green with envy :mrgreen:

nice deal on such a large lathe....
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

All I can say is wow, for that price it is probably under scrap value so great deal.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller