Mineral Dig

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Jammer

Mineral Dig

Post by Jammer »

My wife and I went to Kentucky over the weekend to dig some rocks. We don't have enough in our yard. We have never done this before and it looked like fun. The area of Northern Kentucky has a lot of Fluorite. The site was an old Fluorite mine, we were digging around in a pit they dug out with a trackhoe. It was a big muddy mess, I got down and dirty, the wife stayed up on top and only had a little mud on her shoes. Of course she found the best peice of the day. I dug in the mud and found some calcite, fluorite and Galena. It was a blast.
We were too muddy to take pictures while we dug, so we took some the next day.
Here's her big rock, about 20 pounds. Picture doesn't show much but, it has a lot of nice crystals of Fluorite on it. We may break it open to see what inside. Still a lot of cleaning to do on it.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Re: Mineral Dig

Post by mite5255 »

Like a kid in the mud :lol: looks like fun :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

It was a Blast, sure wore us old farts out. We were going to go on a night dig for Fluorescent rocks but were too tired. Sure wish the hotel had a hot tub.
We still ended up with a lot of fluorescent rocks, all kinds of colors.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That does look like fun stuff. We have an old mine near here where I believe a lot of opals are found. They give you a scoop for a fee and let you go at it. Always wanted to go out there and sift some dirt.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:That does look like fun stuff. We have an old mine near here where I believe a lot of opals are found. They give you a scoop for a fee and let you go at it. Always wanted to go out there and sift some dirt.
If your looking for opals, opals fluoresces under ultraviolet light,apparently, so you'll need a small darkened room (called a noodling machine here)on a trailer :lol: :lol:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Coobe ... =firefox-a

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)