Computer help

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
mite5255

Computer help

Post by mite5255 »

I'm having a few computer ( I'm not all that computer literate) problem and I need some help. when ever I use google or any other search engine I keep getting redirected, I believe its a malwear issue, can someone please tell me how to resolve the problem. My virus scanner runs every day if turned on but I suspect something has got by it

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Silverforge

Re: Computer help

Post by Silverforge »

alot of malware can re-direct anti-virus software- one method of trying to find it and defeat I have been using is download free lavasoft and windows defender- run both of them- often the first one will catch things the second wont and vice versa- Im at the mercy of my computer literate co-workers and this was a suggestion that helped in the past- your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps or at least chips into the thoughts and discussion.

Kerri
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I would help ....... but I have know idea!
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I have windows defender on my computer but it won't start :cry:
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I think I have had a win, i used this program http://www.spywaredetector.net/ and every thing is back to normal

Mike
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

glad it is back to normal, well even if it is behaving now, I would not trust it it to be virus free just yet the best spyware won't make your computer misbehave since it's aim is to avoid detection and steal any valuable information possible.

on the subject of anti-virus software, generally it is bad practice to run multiple anti-virus programs at a time, this is because most anti-virus programs actively runs scans in the file system, and what sometimes happens when you have multiple programs scanning they can sometimes detect each other as processes with suspicious behavior, this can lead to problems.

the other problem with anti-virus software is that no single program can or will detect all forms of malware. My solution is to use one anti virus that actively runs in the background(I prefer avast) and then along with that a dedicated scanner that does not run normally in the background(I like the free version of malwarebytes) so what I then do is I let avast automatically scan once or twice a week, and then I manually scan with malwarebytes at a regular interval the combination of this two programs have done a great job of keeping my computers clean of malware for a long time now.

Also I just have to add that one should always update your anti virus software since new viruses are created daily thus it is best to update your anti virus daily if possible...

on a side note, studying is evil, it takes all my time for my hobbies :evil: will get back into it in a year or two when I hopefully have some time again...