Oil burner problems

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
mite5255

Oil burner problems

Post by mite5255 »

Hi all, things have not been going well here of late.Wife has had to take six weeks sick leave from work, she has severe psoriatic arthritis and its giving her hell..... I've been having major dramas with my oil burner, I just cannot get it to rum right, it for want of a better word fluffs all the time like its starving for fuel. I've replace filters, striped and cleaned the nozzle, replaced the o-ring i don't know how many times and its still the same, its been like this for about three weeks. I have orded a new nozzle and adapter and it will take over a week to get here.

I've also decided to build a new burner, something simula to the quickie burner, I'll also be pouring a concrete apron about 4 mt x 2.5 mt. the orange tub on the left is the bunding the local council advised that I should buy, it will be installed to the right of the concrete tubs that stores my green sand, and the wash tubs that are currently there will be moved to were the bunding is currently sitting, all this will of cause will take time

When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Oil burner problems

Post by dallen »

Mike

have you tried using straight diesel, I have found that with my burner setup that if I hold my finger on the tip of the nozzle with the air turned on that it will blow the oil back into the tank, but your pumping the oil to your nozzle so guess that wouldn't do you much good for seeing if the line is plugged.

and you say that you've already changed the O-ring which other then getting plugged is about all that can go wrong in the nozzle.

Try it on straight clean diesel fuel an see what that does, just get a can full and stick the fuel hose in and let it siphon the fuel see if it will burn that.

What sort of air source do you have on your burner. and is it putting out the amount of air that it was?

do you run a propane feed on your burner, some do, some don't, I do because it makes it easier to light and also helps when I get oil that's hard to burn plus I can run just the gas when doing low heat melts like for aluminum when I have to do them in the big furnace like the flat belt pulley I did last year.

David A
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I can't help much with the oil burner. I couldn't get mine to run very well and haven't worked on it for a while.
Take care of the wife.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:Mike

have you tried using straight diesel, I have found that with my burner setup that if I hold my finger on the tip of the nozzle with the air turned on that it will blow the oil back into the tank, but your pumping the oil to your nozzle so guess that wouldn't do you much good for seeing if the line is plugged.

and you say that you've already changed the O-ring which other then getting plugged is about all that can go wrong in the nozzle.

Try it on straight clean diesel fuel an see what that does, just get a can full and stick the fuel hose in and let it siphon the fuel see if it will burn that.

What sort of air source do you have on your burner. and is it putting out the amount of air that it was?

do you run a propane feed on your burner, some do, some don't, I do because it makes it easier to light and also helps when I get oil that's hard to burn plus I can run just the gas when doing low heat melts like for aluminum when I have to do them in the big furnace like the flat belt pulley I did last year.

David A
Wife and I are heading to our Daughters for two days and will be back on Friday sometime, We'll be listening to Helicopters take off and for two days ;). when we get back I'll try another compressor and see if that helps, I have been using straight kerosine which I get for free and if I mix oil with it its about 50 50 mix so that should readily burn

@Jammer. it looks like she may have to give up work at some point do to health , she would love to keep working but health first, we'll see how things pan out and reassess things towards the end of the year
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Back home, had a good two days. Son in-law took me for a tour of their work shop, they have a bell 214 completely striped and are starting to rebuild it, he took me through the shop showing me the different stages that they are at with the rebuilding, very very interesting.
When we got home I didn't get to try the burner, I chased up a few parts that I was looking for plus wife wanted a few things done

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

hope you get your burner figured out, I chased problems with mine most of last summer trying to get machineable cast iron from it, nd just about the time I think I get it figured out the blower gives up the blue smoke so now I'm chasing foundry ghost again.

you have any photos of the complete burner?

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

As previously stated I want to extend my concrete work area. I'm using a concrete that I've never used before, it has fiberglass fibers in it so no need for reinforcing mesh. this is it all set up ready to pour
weather closed in so had to put a cover up
These two little Beauties were getting a free feed at my back gate
dallen

Post by dallen »

Mike

The framing job looks top notch, nice looking pair of Parrots never knew a bird that would pass up free meal.

DA

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks Dave, in a past life I was a concreter and cement renderer. Overnight rain did some slight damage, but I can live with it....Still raining here so nut much will be happening today

dallen

Post by dallen »

shame about the rain spots, get your burner working and you can melt them out. I know squat about concrete, if you want asphalt I can pretty much answer your questions.