Arrived at local airport yesterday

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
mite5255

Arrived at local airport yesterday

Post by mite5255 »

This old girl turned up at the local airport yesterday, the story about it is here http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com.au/ ... 48234.html

When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Arrived at local airport yesterday

Post by dallen »

Thanks for posting that Mike, them old DC3's were tough old gal's, and could get in and out of short fields pretty easy, had plenty of power hiding in the cowls too.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:Thanks for posting that Mike, them old DC3's were tough old gal's, and could get in and out of short fields pretty easy, had plenty of power hiding in the cowls too.

DA
They hope to have it all together and flying asap and will be giving rides, guess who'll be going for a fly :D .....my place is almost in direct line to the strip and a lot of old planes fly overhead http://www.caboolturewarplanemuseum.com/
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

The warplane heritage museum here acquired this C-47 (military version of the DC-3) a few months ago. A WW2 veteran, still in flying condition, It had been in storage for a few years, it will be refurbished and re-painted in the colours it wore when it saw service with the Canadian forces over Arnhem. HERE's a fairly extensive write-up on the history of this particular aircraft.

Last edited by Rocco on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rocco wrote:The warplane heritage museum here acquired this C-47 (military version of the DC-3) a few months ago. A WW2 veteran, still in flying condition, It had been in storage for a few years, it will be refurbished and re-painted in the colours it wore when it saw service with the Canadian forces over Arnhem. HERE's a fairly extension write-up on the history of this particular aircraft.

Love to go for a fly in the Lancaster that the warplane heritage museum has
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

mite5255 wrote:Love to go for a fly in the Lancaster that the warplane heritage museum has
If you're ever in my area, I know the right palms to grease (all above board of course) so there's a pretty good chance I could actually make that happen. Right now however, it's grounded as one of its engines is being overhauled in the U.K.
dallen

Post by dallen »

they flew a lot of the DC 3s up above the artic circle also as supply planes after the war until the Herc C-130 showed up with the same ability to take of and land on short dirt strips and could carry like 10 times more cargo.

my first ever plane ride was in a DC 3, you even ride in a DC 3 or C 130 military job you will never forget the sound. damn noisest planes around

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Rocco wrote:
mite5255 wrote:Love to go for a fly in the Lancaster that the warplane heritage museum has
If you're ever in my area, I know the right palms to grease (all above board of course) so there's a pretty good chance I could actually make that happen. Right now however, it's grounded as one of its engines is being overhauled in the U.K.
If I'm ever over that way Rocco I'll sure will be looking you up :D of cause it'll only be because your a fellow caster :lol: :lol: :lol:
dallen wrote:they flew a lot of the DC 3s up above the artic circle also as supply planes after the war until the Herc C-130 showed up with the same ability to take of and land on short dirt strips and could carry like 10 times more cargo.

my first ever plane ride was in a DC 3, you even ride in a DC 3 or C 130 military job you will never forget the sound. damn noisest planes around

DA
Yep, been in a c130 and its a very cool, but as you say noisy experence
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

My x brother-in-law was in Honduras for a while and he island hopped in a DC 3 or DC10 I can't remember which. He said he was never sure if they were going to make it. I think there maintenance was lacking. :shock:
We had a landing craft come though here on the Tennessee River. It was pretty neat. I missed it coming in because they came up river about 3 am. I did manage to catch the return trip and watched them enter the lock here at out little town. I couldn't hang around until it pulled out.
Attachments
IMG_0355.JPG
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

We had a DC-3 down here for years that flew over the 13,000 foot mountains to the city of Oaxaca. I took it a few times. One time one of the engines wouldn't start, so they wrapped a rope around the prop shaft and tied the other end to a pickup truck. You can imagine the rest.

Richard