Life in Oz

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Rasper

Re: Life in Oz

Post by Rasper »

Back when i was an active shooter and reloader, I used antimony to harden the bullet metal.

Richard
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Snakes. I lived in South Florida for years. We had snakes. The biggest one I ever saw was in a photograph at a fish camp I used to go to up in the Ocala National Forest. A young man was holding a diamond back rattlesnake he had killed with the head in his hand. The snake's head was as large as his hand. Good Lord!

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:02 pm
I think I read somewhere that Zinc doesn't alloy with Lead. The melt together but will separate into layers as it cools. The lead I sent you is pretty hard to start with, it's called type metal or linotype metal. It has to be mixed with soft lead and tin for bullets. I have some hardener somewhere, if I can find it I'll send it to you.
thanks for the answer to my question about lead and zinc. I wasn't sure if they would mix or not, you would think that they would mix together seeing as how lead will mix with about anything from some of the alloys that I've seen.

I was thinking that the lead that I had was too soft and added about 25 pounds of pure lead to it, and now its way on the soft side and was hoping to use zinc wheel weights to hardened it up cause Antimony cost is like 35.00 for 5 pounds.

seems like any hobby I get into ends up costing me a fortune. anyway like they say you can't take it with you.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

The old style wheel weights had a high antimony content. I used those mixed with pure lead. I don't know what these new politically correct wheel weights are made from.

Richard