Life in Oz

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Rasper

Life in Oz

Post by Rasper »

My good friend and her husband have a place here. They are here now. We went out to supper last night and talked about their recent trip to Oz. He has a good friend in Cairns who has a house in the country. They have a python that comes into the outdoor dining area for table scraps, big pet snakes of several sizes and varieties, and mastiff dogs, one of which was killed right after my friends came home by a snake they call a Tai-Pan. My friends say living in Cairns is a bit on the adventurous side. They plan to go back.

Richard
mite5255

Re: Life in Oz

Post by mite5255 »

Rasper wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:21 pm
My good friend and her husband have a place here. They are here now. We went out to supper last night and talked about their recent trip to Oz. He has a good friend in Cairns who has a house in the country. They have a python that comes into the outdoor dining area for table scraps, big pet snakes of several sizes and varieties, and mastiff dogs, one of which was killed right after my friends came home by a snake they call a Tai-Pan. My friends say living in Cairns is a bit on the adventurous side. They plan to go back.

Richard
We have a friend that comes from Toronto, she lived here for six years before going back to Canada and she call Australia Jurassic Park, but she also says if given a chance shed be back in a heart beat.......Those Taipain snakes are deadly http://www.ritas-outback-guide.com/aust ... nakes.html, crocodiles are a problem up north, if one gets you the chances of survival are very very slim
My son has two small pythons as pets
IMG_1796.JPG
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

I hate snakes....
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Here's one of the smaller reptiles that reside here in Oz https://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPoli ... =3&theater
dallen

Post by dallen »

we got some pretty good sized ones down in the Florida Everglades they don't have any natural predators and the hot wet environment is right up their alley.

bunch of them got released from a snake outfit several years back when a hurricane blowed the damn thing down.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

My neighbor always says he has seen several Copperheads and Rattlers as big as his arm. He shoots at them but must miss because he's never brought it over to show me. We've been here 5 years and only seen one black snake about 2 feet long.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

their there but they are pretty good at hiding, I found a 4 foot black snake on my front door back in the summer damn thing was trying to ring the door bell to let me know he wanted in, I threw his ass back out in the street where he belonged, last I saw of him he was headed towards the neighbors place.

as long as Florida keeps its snakes down there I could care less, anyway its too cold here in the winter for Florida snakes to move up here.

Jerry, will lead alloy with zinc?, in search of a cheap way to harden up the lead that I have.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I think I read somewhere that Zinc doesn't alloy with Lead. The melt together but will separate into layers as it cools. The lead I sent you is pretty hard to start with, it's called type metal or linotype metal. It has to be mixed with soft lead and tin for bullets. I have some hardener somewhere, if I can find it I'll send it to you.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

My understanding is type metal is a alloy of lead, antimony, and tin, out at the historical village that I do hammer work, in their printing shop they have a heap of type lead ingots and ingot molds for them
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Yea, I've probably sold over 1500 pounds of it. I have a pig mold that will make a 25 pound pig. It is Lead, Tin and Antimony, it has a lower melting point than pure lead, around 540 F.
Lyman Reloading Handbook, 45th. Edition
4 pounds Linotype
1 pound 50/50 bar solder - Lead/Tin
5 pounds pure lead
Makes 10 pounds of #2 alloy
The 50/50 solder is to add tin which improves casting and gives a better bullet.